Wanted: Suggestion for external raid-1 - FASTEST

Elijah

Limp Gawd
Hey everyone,

I would like suggestions for a reasonable high storage (500-1000GB) and as fast as possible transfer rates.

Do they make a firewire, usb 2.0 AND eSata enclosure? Thanks for saving me some time!

I believe eSata is going to be the fastest. It's just like you are running the harddrive off of a sata port on your motherboard. Same performance. I have used the Icy Dock single drive eSata/USB enclosures and have been very happy with the build quality - super sturdy unit. My computer is too old for the eSata but the USB has never failed me. [H]ard did a review of one of the units before. Icy Dock only makes a quad external bay: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994037&Tpk=Icy+Dock+quad This would require raiding them through the controller on the motherboard or through software.

I don't have any expertise with units that have a built-in raid controller. Let us know what you decide on. Good luck!

That unit looks very very nice!

I am going to be limited by firewire and usb 2 on this laptop but want something that also has eSata for when I upgrade.

I like the unit you posted a lot! It would be nice if it had raid 1 capability and I could do 2 different mirroring arrays. I really need raid, I use so many different computers that it needs all the connections to. It will be my little cloud! I will try to make backups every now and then to single drives wherever I am living and keep those in a data safe.

Thanks for your feedback!

Back