Want to turn internal SATA HDD to external USB HDD...

FM 3370

Gawd
I have a few internal SATA drives lying around and would like to use them from time to time without actually having to attach them inside the computer. Is there a good device out there that can allow me to use these drives externally through USB? I'm sure a Google search will show me some options, I'm wondering what options are some of the best.

USB3 with fan. It's not cheap but I would not use my hard drive without fan.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182211

ImgPrd-1513-Mb.jpg

I have the USB2/eSATA version of the RX-358. The worst thing about it is the bright blue LEDs, in my opinion. If the USB3 version had eSATA too, I'd be all over that for an upgrade.

Thanks for the suggestions! I think it makes sense to have one with a fan unless it's too noisy.

For "a few" drives you'll either need as much enclosures as drives, or the one dock (or just a bunch of cables like me, the power of SATA/eSATA).

I have a few internal SATA drives lying around and would like to use them from time to time without actually having to attach them inside the computer. Is there a good device out there that can allow me to use these drives externally through USB? I'm sure a Google search will show me some options, I'm wondering what options are some of the best.

If you have fewer than 4, you can for for an enclosure like Mediasonic HF2-SU3S2 3.5" USB3.0 & eSATA 4 Bay External Enclosure $130, i own one and been perfect, has a fan in the back and setting fan speed at 3 its i cant hear it, has both esata and usb3. If you dont care about usb3, then there a cheaper model with usb2, Mediasonic 3.5-Inch USB 2.0 and eSATA Pro Box 4-Bay Enclosure HF2-SU2S2 (Black) $100

If you are looking for single drives enclosures, Thermaltake Max 5G Active Cooling Hard Drive Enclosure with Two 80mm Blue LED Fans USB 3.0 5.0Gbps ST0020U $51.

Another alternative is an usb dock, i own a couple and no issues with either, Eagle Tech ET-CSKSU3-BK 2.5"/3.5" SATA to SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Hard Drive Docking Station $32

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back