Want to bulid a new computer...

Zalbag

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

currently all I have computing wise is a PowerBook 1.5ghz. I really want to change that, I want to build a new rig for work/play. I have no idea where to start though, I've been out of the hardware "loop" for so long I don't know who's the better processor (Intel or AMD, I am guessing AMD is still king?), is nVidia back on top in terms of GFX or does ATI still hold the crown?

My budget for this is somewhere between $1.5k and $2k, I would like the machine to have enough power to play pretty much any game on high settings without breaking a sweat. I also need to make sure the system has enough to power 2 large displays (which I need recommendations on also, I hear Dell 20-something being thrown around as a good flat panel?).

Again I apologize for being such a newb at this, it's been so long since I've really built a high end machine.

Thanks,

Zalbag

I haven't built a computer now in about 4 years, last year I was gonna but some family stuff came up and I ended up putting it off. I am now getting ready to purchase the parts and build one!!! Anyway...

I would suggest you start off reading the Rig upgrade articles and the complete rig reviews here at [H] that will give you an idea of what parts you will want.

Then I would head over to Newegg.com and set up a wish list (you can have several) go through and put together the whole system you want. Then you can a take a look at the price and see where you stand, you can add and subtract items easily in the wish list.

Once you do that you can hit some other review sites and see what other parts are around that you might like to replace in your wish list for performance or price (or both!!!!)

Once you have it fitting your taste then post it here and have the guys who know better take a look at it and critique it. Once you are happy with the system then it's time to price shop a bit more...

I like to take the items on my list and visit another parts site (Tigerdirect.com) to make sure the prices are in line.
I like to take the big ticket items on my list and visit pricewatch.com to see if any of them can be had at any big time savings..

Then it's time to buy.

I'm no expert but that's how I'm getting it done.

EQ

Ok, I spent a little bit of time going thru NewEgg and came out with this config:

Intel Pentium D 920 (Dual Core) - $260
Intel 945G Micro ATX Intel Motherboard (BOXD945GTPLKR) - $129
CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 Mhz (PC2 5300) - $180
XFX PVT70FUNF7 Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card with 450MHz Core and 1250MHz Memory - $470 (I hope this thing can power the displays)
2 x SAMSUNG 204T-Black 20.1" 16ms LCD Monitor - $490 (x 2 = ~$990)
2 x Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - $110 (x 2 = $~220)
NEC Beige IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3550A - $40
Antec SUPER LANBOY Silver anodized aluminum ATX Mini Tower Computer Case - $76
Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply - $90

Grand total is around $2500 (yes I know, I am way over my budget, let's just say there's a possibility that my budget is whatever I want to make it ;) )

Comments? Suggestions?

Hey,
Definetely go with AMD if you are gaming. AMD kicks the crap out of Intel right now.
Athlon 64 X2, or an Opeteron 170 (the opteron is very popular for overclocking).
I like Asus boards, but check this forum for other recomendations. I recently used an Asus A8N-E. A lot of guys here like ram from G.Skill. Everything else looks good. I would check out the forum about displays if I were you.
Thanks
ribs

Looks pretty good.. but if you're going to be gaming I'd highly recommend going with an AMD X2 or Opteron 165 if you can afford it. Dual core AMDs are great. I got my 165 for $280 at the end of december, and its overclocked to 2700 from 1800mhz on air.. opterons are good if you're into overclocking.

also if you're going to overclock, you might want to get some better RAM and an Asus or DFI mobo.

Ok so I made some changes, pretty much the same specs as the above computer but with a small difference ;)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (Dual Core) - $300
Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI - $104
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) - $170
XFX PVT70FUNF7 Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card with 450MHz Core and 1250MHz Memory - $470 (I hope this thing can power the displays)
BenQ FP91G+ Black 19" 8ms LCD Monitor - $300
2 x Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - $110 (x 2 = $~220)
NEC Beige IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3550A - $40
Antec SUPER LANBOY Silver anodized aluminum ATX Mini Tower Computer Case - $76
Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply - $90

I went from Intel to AMD, changed to one monitor (a BenQ 19" with 8ms response), and went to G.SKILL RAM, new grand total is: ~$1800 (NewEgg says ($1751.97)

Looks pretty good. Just about any video card can power two displays at at 1280x1024 for desktop type work, if you're thinking dual display. A 7800GTX is plenty good enough to play almost any game at max settings at 1280x1024. Your video card will be slightly bottle-necked by your processor when playing games. Most current games really don't take advantage of dual cores, so they "see" a X2 3800+ as being the same power as a single core 3200+ processor. You can overclock your processor or buy a faster one if this bothers you. Other wise, your graphics card will probably play your games just fine even if it is bottle-necked.

Back