Wal-Mart Selling MP3s Without DRM

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wal-Mart, the world's largest retailer, announced today that it is now selling digital music downloads without DRM on its web site.

Wal-Mart said it would sell the "DRM-free" MP3 downloads of music by artists like the Rolling Stones, Amy Winehouse and Maroon 5 for 94 cents per track or $9.22 per album. It said the new format let customers play music on almost any device, including iPods, iPhones and Microsoft Corp's Zune portable media player.

I'm sorry...does that say "new format"? I must be reading it incorrectly...clearly non-DRM MP3s have been around for a while...did Walmart invent this?

-S

I think we're finally getting there folks.

It only took the music industry 8 long years to get it thru their thick heads, but maybe, just maybe, we are on track now.

I'm sorry...does that say "new format"? I must be reading it incorrectly...clearly non-DRM MP3s have been around for a while...did Walmart invent this?
I don't think they're referring to the file format, as everyone knows its been around for a while. By "format", I assume they are referencing the fact that their music store now sells MP3s w/o DRM... which is different than the previous format. It's too early, too hard to explain :D

That's not a bad price for an album. I'd buy a lot more CDs at that price point. I won't buy a single song though that's ripped at anything other than a lossless bitrate.

Learn from AllofMP3.com/Alltunes.com/MP3spark.com DRM free music encoded in the customers choice of format at the customers choice of bitrate... anything else is crap.

Learn from AllofMP3.com/Alltunes.com/MP3spark.com DRM free music encoded in the customers choice of format at the customers choice of bitrate... anything else is crap.

Makes for one hell of a large archive. *shrugs* I guess if you want the business, you'll go for it.

Back