W7: Sleep inhibit functions aren't working

Nazo

2[H]4U
So strangely enough lately sleep inhibit functions just aren't working. For instance, a download manager set to prevent the computer from sleeping while a download is running will be unable to do so. A program created specifically to prevent sleeping while allowing me to set a one-time use timer, Caffeinated also fails. I've had it do this even during games if I left it on while I was eating or something.

Of course I am fully aware I could disable the sleep function or raise it to something really high. That is not the point. I prefer efficiency and a full computer sitting on using more power than an old fashioned lightbulb (probably around 90 watts total between the PC and monitor and all while idle, but I don't feel like breaking out the Kill-a-Watt atm) is just plain wasteful -- especially in a time where every penny counts. Plus it outputs heat even if it is a fairly efficient build and it gets really hard to maintain a decent temperature around here in the summer (the PC is fine, but I get discomfort and even headaches if it gets too hot in here.) I can't manually do it every time (besides just plain forgetting, sometimes I'm called off or rushing to deal with a cat-related emergency or something.) So turning off the sleep function is not an option. Instead I need to fix the actual problem.

Does anyone have any idea what could break this? Perhaps it's a power-related setting I've changed? I did try changing the media sharing setting (I had set it to allow the computer to sleep even if it was sharing media, so I tried setting it back to the "away mode" setting, but this changed nothing.) I don't know what, if any, setting could disable sleep inhibit functions.

Open admin elevated cmd and enter powercfg /requestsoverride. See if you got anything there that's being overridden.

Looks to be blank I presume?

$ powercfg /requestsoverride
[SERVICE]

[PROCESS]

[DRIVER]

Check the Task Scheduler. Also the Event Log to see what triggered the sleep command.

Well, I can answer that without taking the time to bring it about manually: time did. It's set to sleep after a certain length of time and that is what it does. The problem is that those things should prevent it from doing so and aren't.

Eh, I'm looking more to fix the basic problem itself rather than to try a bunch of different programs that do the same thing until I find one that somehow works.

Well, if that program works then it's probably a bad programs issue and not an OS issue.

You misunderstand. I'm saying I want to fix the fundamental problem that prevents it from working in everything. Even if it works in one thing it's not really a solution.

I never said the OS itself was at fault. I said only that I'm running Windows 7. There are differences between 7 and, say, 10 or XP or whatever. It may not matter to this, but I was going ahead and providing that information ahead of time in case it mattered.

Back