W11 start button not working after installing GPU drivers

M76

[H]F Junkie
Windows 10 committed seppuku on my server, so I needed to re-install it anyway, and I decided to install windows 11 on it. (in hindsight bad idea)

Everything worked fine until I decided to install the official nvidia drivers for the GT640 that's in the computer. Because that caused the start button to stop working. And the taskbar reverted itself to windows 10 look, with no option to even switch it back. WTF?

No, restarting explorer.exe does not change anything, logging out, rebooting, neither changes anything.

You are using 472.12? Did it have a built in driver that worked, before updating?

Since they are removing support for this card like anytime now, it's quite possible Nvidia is not fixing any issues relating to Windows 11 even though the driver is listed as 'compatible'.

I don't know that there is anything inherent to that driver that would cause the problem. My 3x GTX 680 cards in my backup computer are stuck on that same driver but no issues with Windows 11. I wonder if you are experiencing the same issue as here: https://techdows.com/2021/10/windows-11-windows-10-taskbar-bug-start-menu-not-working.html

I'm also curious what version of Windows 11 you are running right now. Current version is 22000.318.
.318? im up to .346...

id ddu and try again.

I don't know that there is anything inherent to that driver that would cause the problem. My 3x GTX 680 cards in my backup computer are stuck on that same driver but no issues with Windows 11. I wonder if you are experiencing the same issue as here: https://techdows.com/2021/10/windows-11-windows-10-taskbar-bug-start-menu-not-working.html

I'm also curious what version of Windows 11 you are running right now. Current version is 22000.318.
The symptoms are exactly as described on the link, except I clean installed windows using the latest iso which I downloaded on friday, so the version is 22000.318 and the updates mentioned on that site are obviously not listed on my system. The powershell hack did nothing.

id ddu and try again.
Assuming uninstalling the driver fixes it which I doubt. I don't think it is caused by the driver, it might be just a coincidence that it broke at the same time that was installed.

And yeah I should've done a system restore right away, but I've experienced the search and start menu not working on windows 10 many times and a restart always fixed it, so I assumed as soon as I reboot my computer it will be fine.

Back