Vsync on or off for Counter-Strike?

bernonjohn

n00b
I am currently using an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro (soon to be overclocked when i get home ^_^) and the only game I play really is Counter-Strike 1.6. What do you guys recommend? Vertical Sync on or off?

I know if you have VSync on, the maximum refresh rate you can get is what your monitor can support, which is 75 for me. But if you have it off, it will go as high as 99 fps.

Another question, if you guys dont mind, is what does VSync do exactly? I would like to have the smoothest game play with the best refresh rate possible. People say having Vsync on is a lot smoother. What do you guys prefer? Thanks!

Try them both and see which one you like most. Its all a matter of personal preferance. If you get tearing with vsync off then you'll want to turn it back on again.

I personally like to play CS with vsync on because I think it looks smoother than with vsync off.

Tearing? Would that be some sort of lag that occurs? Because sometimes while playing (like once every 5 minutes), the screen would freeze for 1 second, but it becomes really noticable and annoying after awhile.

Well that game is old enough that it will not tax your system at all. So you should be just fine running with vsync on, be it triple buffer or double buffer.

vsync on will prevent you from getting 'tearing' on the screen because it will render the whole frame before it puts it on the screen.

Idealistically, you want to run Vsync on with Triple buffering. This eats up video ram (but CS is such a lowend game nowdays, this will not affect you really)
If you cannot run that, then the next best thing is Vsync off with Double buffer and your refresh rate as high as possable.

There is more to it than just what I wrote here, and there are specific reasons why you want vsync off with double buffer (framrates cut by half), but I think that was enough answer your question. Hope that helped.

Hey, thanks a bunch for your guys' help so far! ^_^ Just wondering... how do I adjust the buffering for ATI vid cards?

I believe that you change it in the video card control panel for OpenGL games, and you change it in the game(this may also be via a config file) itself for Direct3D games. But, I am not posative.

Oh and by the way WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

Turn Vsync ON! 75fps is great in high res 32bit in CS. AA/AF maxed out :D

You can tell the tearing with vsync off get near a box and near the corner or sides of the box stand in front of it move the mouse left and right fast and you can tell it never aligns with vsync on there is no tearing its straight....75fps to 99fps not much you can notice plus its not worth all the tearing...

CS? Type "exit" in the console.... should increase the FPS.

Argh, why must CS live on. Way too old now.

On topic: Yes, vsync is your friend, leave it on. Why not? You can't see frames the monitor isn't able to render, and you prevent nasty side effects.

Originally posted by kleptophobiac

Do you have to thread crap in every CS thread?
:rolleyes:

If the guy likes the game let him play it.

Originally posted by kleptophobiac

On topic: Yes, vsync is your friend, leave it on. Why not? You can't see frames the monitor isn't able to render, and you prevent nasty side effects.

6100 posts and still a moron.

Originally posted by Mikey20
i can't stand people like him :mad:

I find that statement funny coming from you because I think the exact same thing whenever you bring up your blind hatred for nvidia.

blind hatred for nvidia? im probobly the poster boy of the so called "nvidia fanboy"... but facts are facts ati is better in most areas....respect my opinion as i respect yours.... i don't come and crap on someones thread just to argue...show me where i blindly craped on nvidia! i use the best of both worlds i have a 9800pro and a fx5900nu on another machine.... sooo :p on THIS!

blind hatred for nvidia? im probobly the poster boy of the so called "nvidia fanboy"... but facts are facts ati is better in most areas....respect my opinion as i respect yours.... i don't come and crap on someones thread just to argue...show me where i blindly craped on nvidia! i use the best of both worlds i have a 9800pro and a fx5900nu on another machine.... sooo :p on THIS!

Mikey20 example from just 2 days ago. Damn you were quick in that thread. Too bad search wasnt working, I bet I could find more.

You might want to remember one more thing: This isn't a verbal conversation you are having on the forums, so anything you say can be dug up. It makes it really easy to call your bluffs and lies.

Originally posted by DocFaustus
Mikey20 example from just 2 days ago. Damn you were quick in that thread. Too bad search wasnt working, I bet I could find more.

You might want to remember one more thing: This isn't a verbal conversation you are having on the forums, so anything you say can be dug up. It makes it really easy to call your bluffs and lies.

jesus christ almighty I hope little mikey was being sarcastic in that thread, otherwise I weep for his children.

wow are you partially retarded? i wasn't crapping on nvidia the way you say i do....if that story about hl2 being delayed IS in fact true ...it being delayed because valve had to make the game "playable" on fx line series cards....thats common sense if nVidia did a better job on the fx line cards hl2 would not be delayed or valve having to re-work the engine to make it playable on a nvidia card wouldn't even be a thought, in fact it is nvidias fault for their poor work on full dx9 performance...anyone here will agree with me...its common sense. i never crapped on nvidia...you are yet to proved me wrong! you are yet to post up here where i CRAPED ON NVIDIA...ill tell you why because it don't exist...sooo again.... :p on this! :D :D :D

wow are you partially retarded? i wasn't crapping on nvidia the way you say i do....if that story about hl2 being delayed IS in fact true ...it being delayed because valve had to make the game "playable" on fx line series cards....thats common sense if nVidia did a better job on the fx line cards hl2 would not be delayed or valve having to re-work the engine to make it playable on a nvidia card wouldn't even be a thought, in fact it is nvidias fault for their poor work on full dx9 performance...anyone here will agree with me...its common sense. i never crapped on nvidia...you are yet to proved me wrong! you are yet to post up here where i CRAPED ON NVIDIA...ill tell you why because it don't exist...sooo again.... :p on this! :D :D :D

Guess that proves little mikey was NOT being sarcastic in that thread.

And before you go off calling me retarded, you better rethink your posts.

atm I'm using a gf2 64mb (gf4 440), 1.2 tbird and 512 PC133 and I get 100fps, though definitely not constant (drops tremendously on Aztec or in action/battle on any other map). Using the 19" monitor below (haven't got new setup yet) and keep V-syn On.

I wasn't 100% sure if the Max FPS was to do with the refresh rate, but thanks for confirming that it has got alot to do with it (I'll see if I get 100fps at 1600x1200 on new setup with this 19" monitor, even though resfresh rate at that resolution is about 75mhz I think) :)

You should honestly be the poster boy of abortion.

i second that ;)

Im pretty out of the loop over the whole hl2 thing (personally, i cant be fucked hearing about the squables, the 10000000x10-1000000 threads on 'whens it going to be out now' 'will my system run it' 'which video card has a free voucher' 'which card will run it at more than X fps' 'whats the best budget card for hl2' etc etc etc) but i believed that ATi brought out some kind of deal with valve so nVidia didnt get many rights to it... so surely that makes it valves fault... hell, i dont know if im right, and i sure as hell dont care....

CS ANYONE? (vysnc on all the way)

I sit at about 250 FPS in my cs.

For those of you that dont believe me:

in console, type developer 1

then fps_max 999

See whatcha get - I personally like 250fps without vsync

Doc you want a cookie? :rolleyes:

I guess that means you have decided to forgo any semblance of intelligent responses. Your resort to menial catch phrases and/or quotes does not make up for your inability to convincingly defend your point.

Wow gfg. I overclocked my ATI Radeon 9600 Pro to the following settings:

Core Clock Speed: 554 MHz
Memory Clock Speed: 324 MHz

Let me just say... my computer runs fkn smooth as hell! Everything from gaming to the operating system performs ubelievable higher than the standard.

Thanks everyone!

Originally posted by Confused_User
Do you have to thread crap in every CS thread?
actually, i'm pretty sure he craps on *every* thread - period. he must be one of those people who will accuse you of cheating and/or call you a "fagget" if you kick their ass in UT2K3 or similar.

kleptophobiac: chill dude - what the hell is your problem?!

Originally posted by bernonjohn
Wow gfg. I overclocked my ATI Radeon 9600 Pro to the following settings:

Core Clock Speed: 554 MHz
Memory Clock Speed: 324 MHz

Let me just say... my computer runs fkn smooth as hell! Everything from gaming to the operating system performs ubelievable higher than the standard.

Thanks everyone!

I am glad everything is working great for you. And sorry that we had to end up crapping in your thread a bit when personalities clashed.

is there anyway to have vsync on with cs but off with windows and all other games?
i have a geforce FX 5900 and in the opengl settings, the vsync has 3 options..."always off", "off by default", and "on by default". i currently have it at "always off" but after seeing this thread, i want it ON for cs (and only cs).

i don't think you can specifically have vsync on for only cs..it affects all opengl or d3d apps. just leave it always on

Another reason I love my Parhelia.
Matrox's powerdesk allows you to define application-specific settings if you want options like vsynch, FAA, color depth, filtering, etc. enabled or not.

Personally, I always use vsynch enabled, to avoid the tearing I see when it's disabled.

Back