VRM temperatures of X570 chipset (Gigabyte X570S UD & X570S GAMING X) with 5950X (no OC)...?

Moratorium

n00b
Hello

Im looking to buy a mainboard for my 5950x CPU. I like the Gigabyte X570S and/or X570S GAMING X (they should be the same boards basically). I like them because of cheap price (in my country) and 3 x M.2 slots (all at full speed (!!) - PCIe 4.0 x4 (at least they say so on their website that all three support PCIe 4.0 x4 at the same time )):

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570S-UD-rev-10
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570S-GAMING-X-rev-10

The one thing i dont like about the motherboard is that they supposedly have HIGH VRM temps... BUT (!). Im not sure if this applies ONLY to the overclocked CPUs or even CPUs running normally, Non-overclocked. From some tests/reviews its hard to tell. Im planning to run my 5950x "on default", without any overclocking... Im planning to use air cooler DeepCool AK620. Soon im also planning to buy RTX 4090 (currently i have GTX 1070)... So the RTX 4090 should probably "add some heat" to the case and maybe (?) contribute to the temperature (incrase) of the VRMs of the motherboard...
Im judging the VRMs temps of the Gigabyte X570S UD based on these test/reviews/videos etc.:

https://der8auer.com/x570-motherboard-vrm-overview/

Is says 87 c R9 3900x 3.8 GHz @ 1.15 v MLCC ... BUT (!), some issues i have regarding applying the results of the tests to me peronally:

1) AFAIK the board in the tests is NOT the same as the one im planning ( i think), its probably the
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-UD-rev-10
But my (planned) is: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570S-UD-rev-10
and they are somewhat different (even in the VRM section)...
2) These test were done with 3900x and NOT 5950x (mine); (although i care about VRM temps so im not sure if the CPU matters)...?
3) additionally i think it had increased voltage (? - @ 1.15)...?;
4) additionally it was cooled by water cooler (meaning no fans near the VRMs as is the case with "standard" air coolers)
5) additionally the case itself had no active fans (as far as i know).

My question is:
What sort of VRMs temps can i expect with the board (Gigabyte X570S UD) if i use it with None-overclocked (!) 5950x, with air cooler DeepCool AK620, with some basic case fans...
(Maybe someone here has this exact some board with similiarly hungry/powerful CPU...?)

What sort of VRMs temps should i expect...? What are "safe VRM temps"...? What if i add some additionaly few small 40mm fans on top of the VRM heatsinks...? That should help right?

Thank you

Most boards are made to overclock - especially the x570. Either select a board with a better VRM cooling solution or just have a fan blowing across the VRMs. Personally, I think you are obsessing too much over VRM temps.

If you want to get serious - then the asus rog x570 crosshair has water cooling for the VRMs.

Last edited:
Most boards are made to overclock - especially the x570. Either select a board with a better VRM cooling solution or just have a fan blowing across the VRMs. Personally, I think you are obsessing too much over VRM temps.

If you want to get serious - then the asus rog x570 crosshair has water cooling for the VRMs.
Yeah most IC packages are rated for high temps over 150 C. OC without worry, MB thermals will protection trip if there is a serious issue.

On a side note OC has lost its luster with modern OEM binning methodology of chips.

Also in addition i would like to ask, if i may :):

1) I read that the audio codec of the motherboard is not really that good at all (its Realtek 887)... But if im NOT an audiophile ( my headset costs like 10 USD :) )... Will I really notice a difference (while gaming or listening to music or whatever)...? Is it really a problem?

2)One of the Three 3 M.2 slots of the motherboard is located UNDER the space that will be occupied by the big (multislot) RTX 4090 Cooler . SImply the RTX 4090 (cooler) is so big that it will at least partially (if not fully, i think fully) cover one of the m.2 slots for SSD. I guess this means 2 things - Firstly - i can forget to put an SSD cooler on the SSD in this slot since it wont fit (under the RTX 4090)...? And secondly, theres quite a big chance that the SSD in this slot will thermal throttle when the RTX 4090 will be under heavy load (since the RTX 4090 will radiate too much heat onto the SSD underneath...? If not thermal throttle, the SSD will still run MUCH HOTTER because of this...?

3) In my country there are 2 "versions" of the "Gigabyte X570S UD"... One is simply "Gigabyte X570S UD" and the other one is "Gigabyte X570S UD rev 1.0"...? What does that "rev 1.0 mean"...? I cannot find it anywhere online? The website of Gigabyte also mentions only the "Gigabyte X570S UD rev 1.0" so what is the "Gigabyte X570S UD" (without the "Rev 1.0")...? (i want to buy the one without the rev1.0 because its a bit cheaper and offered by wider and better range of eshopsy in my country)... Whats the difference (if any) between the "base model" and the one with the "rev 1.0"?
Thank you

1. it's fine. if you're worried about it use USB headset/speakers or get a USB DAC.
2. won't cause any issues unless you're transfer large files for long periods of time.
3. it's probably the same board they're just listing it differently depending on the site.

1. it's fine. if you're worried about it use USB headset/speakers or get a USB DAC.
2. won't cause any issues unless you're transfer large files for long periods of time.
3. it's probably the same board they're just listing it differently depending on the site.

Hi

How would 1 work (use USB headset) if the audio is still processed by the same audio chip/codec (regardless if i plug headset into the audio jacks or USB, the sound/audio is still processed by the same chip? (that people online say is "sub-par"?

Back