VPN problem, Win2k3 & Netgear FM114P

Ezekial

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a server setup at home with Win2k3 & a Netgear FM114P. It has never really been able to accept VPN incoming connections. One time, a long time ago, it did accept some incoming VPN connections for a bit and then just decided to stop letting them come in. I seem to recall speciifing some additional port forwarding and got it to work a few times. Like in the 8XXX range it seems like. But that was a long time ago, and can't remember the details.

Recently I setup my VPN again and want to get it into service. I have forwarded ports 47 & 1723 to my server and it is setup as a DHCP server (unlike last time) which I used some upper IPs (above .200) assigned to make sure they wouldn't overlap with my router DHCP.

When I try and connect it sees the server, and then attempts to verify the username/password but stops there and timesout with Error 721.

I have checked & unchecked "allow VPN passthrough" on my router to see if it helps, and there is no change.

I also seem to recall plugging directly into the modem and being able to VPN fine, but then again, it's been a while. I need to have my router up for port forwarding, internet sharing, etc. Plus it helps secure down my lan, naturally. I may try this this evening, if I can get a buddy to loan me a VNC/RD connection to try and connect.

I can connect to the VPN from a machine on the internal network.
I also recently noticed that my WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface is on a different IP than the main machine. I changed to that IP on my router, and it does not help. When the local LAN clients connect it uses that IP at the host. I hadn't noticed this before, and I am poking around trying to figure out why the OS choose this IP, as I did not recall specifing it. Not that it matters, just curious as how it picked it and how I could go about changing it if I so wanted to.

Any ideas?
DMZing it to the server also does not work.

I need to try going directly into the server first I guess, and see if it indeed does work. If not I may have to change routers or something.

** Or maybe someone knows a trick or two. ** :) :)

Screenshots can be provided as necessary if needed.

As you can see, I am a n00b at this, but know enough to troubleshoot and figure it out. It's just something that I have not messed with very much.

Thanks

oops, god damn it... I got home and was looking for my damn thread....

someone please move this back a notch...I guess I was poking around a bit much in pics and forgot to go back a notch :D

thx

:edit
well, actually nevermind

I just tried from another outside source and it connected just fine. Seems they are blocking access at work to outside VPN connections. Thing is, I have found nothing else at all blocked at work, so it's odd that this was the problem. If there is any changes, I'll bump the thread

I guess previously (while back) I didn't have something configured right, and just so happened that the symptoms were the same.

thanks anyways guys

Back