VPN at login autoconnect ?

RichardParry

Supreme [H]ardness
I have just setup PPTP on my Astaro firewall and I can login to my network securely through my work's pc, however I must manually connect the VPN tunnel, I have tried creating a shortcut and placing it into my Startup folder but the system seems to ignore it....

Is there a way to get the VPN to autoconnect once I have logged in, automatically ? (I login locally.... just so we dont confuse the matter).....

Thanx !

Im setting up the same as we speak! :D I'll be looking to do the same so I'll let you know if I work it out.

How do you like astaro? Looks nice so far.

Originally posted by SKiTLz
Im setting up the same as we speak! :D I'll be looking to do the same so I'll let you know if I work it out.

How do you like astaro? Looks nice so far.

I have been using it now for about 6 months (the uptime as of last night is 160 days), its been running fine routing static IP's (with firewall rules) and now VPN, which means I can access the local network and get the ports I want... :)

I will try the run path a little later on and let you know !

Originally posted by RichardParry
I have been using it now for about 6 months (the uptime as of last night is 160 days), its been running fine routing static IP's (with firewall rules) and now VPN, which means I can access the local network and get the ports I want... :)

I will try the run path a little later on and let you know !

Ok Cheers. Quick question for ya. The PPTP_POOL Definition is automatically created on mine. I don't like the range it's using too much and want to change it but it wont let me edit the definition. Was this the same for you?

I could just use a different definition but I like to keep it clean and easy to read.

Ok Cheers. Quick question for ya. The PPTP_POOL Definition is automatically created on mine. I don't like the range it's using too much and want to change it but it wont let me edit the definition. Was this the same for you?

I could just use a different definition but I like to keep it clean and easy to read.

hmm, I will have check (at work at the moment, and my VPN is setup to not allow WebAdmin on the VPN) when I get home.....

You "can" change this, if you goto Definitions->Network you can attempt to edit it, however it will complain if the network is used (which it most likely is) that you cannot and lists what are preventing it.

You have two choices, you can satisfy all the requirements you see then make your changes then go back and setup everything else again.

OR

A risky option would be to try an edit this file manually via the console.
/etc/wfe/conf/netdata
I personally have NOT attempted editing this particularly item this way so not sure how well it will work for you, it may break a few things. Backup the file try it, if it breaks restore the file. Please though do this at YOUR OWN RISK. I have modified other items in the conf this way particularly the snetdata which contains the static network definitions that the WebUI does not let you modify.

However not sure why you really care about the PPTP_POOL being too large. Are you running out of private IP addresses, if so can I borrow a few computers?

If you are concerned about security risk, remember this is a VPN. They have to auth before even getting assigned an IP from this pool.

Originally posted by m1abram
You "can" change this, if you goto Definitions->Network you can attempt to edit it, however it will complain if the network is used (which it most likely is) that you cannot and lists what are preventing it.

You have two choices, you can satisfy all the requirements you see then make your changes then go back and setup everything else again.

OR

A risky option would be to try an edit this file manually via the console.
/etc/wfe/conf/netdata
I personally have NOT attempted editing this particularly item this way so not sure how well it will work for you, it may break a few things. Backup the file try it, if it breaks restore the file. Please though do this at YOUR OWN RISK. I have modified other items in the conf this way particularly the snetdata which contains the static network definitions that the WebUI does not let you modify.

However not sure why you really care about the PPTP_POOL being too large. Are you running out of private IP addresses, if so can I borrow a few computers?

If you are concerned about security risk, remember this is a VPN. They have to auth before even getting assigned an IP from this pool.

Thanks lot. Will try what you mentioned (and I wont hold u responsible :D)

As for why.. Security or running our of address's wasn't a concern. I have a few PC's at work that I login through VPN at the same time. I was wanting to change the pool more because its using some abstrac 10.280.***.*** address. It's hard to remember. Thats all. Not a big concern really.

Bigg concern would be why I couldnt login from work this morning. Will have to sort that out when I get home.

Back