VP171b viewing angles

maenos

n00b
Anyone else notice the poor viewing angles on VP171b? Especially vertical! So bad you can't make use of the pivot to vertical mode - really poor. And horizontal dims and shifts to green pretty fast too.

Now, when you're straight on, the picture is beautiful! But the viewing angles need to be mentioned.

Using DVI on 9800 pro.

must be yours, i can sit on the other side of the room with the monitor facing almost away from me and still see everything clearly. viewing angles don't concern me because i am usually plopped directly infront of the monitor but I was absolutly astounded that I could still see everything very clearly on the monitor even from obscene off of center angles.

The viewing angels are bad on Vp171b because it is a TFT with a TN+Film panel. This kind of LCD panel has fast response time but has also bad viewing angels and lack in color representation.
I think it could truly show 262000 colors but with dithering it is 16,2 Million colors (not 16,7 Million colors which is also fewer than the CRTs infinite number of colors) (Maybe you don't recognize it but put it beside a CRT and you will miss some colors)

Yes, I wondered why they didn't make all LCDs to pivot, and then I realized how poor some of the LCDs handle the vertical viewing angle. You need to be looking straight on to see a pivoted LCD with poor vertical view angles properly.

The Samsung 172X has the same view angles as the AU screens and doesn't pivot, but the Samsung 173P has MUCH better angles and does pivot. Just wish the 173P had the good response times.

dunno about you guys but i like the increased privacy gained with the small viewing angle hehe

Back