VP171 Question

Gollum0000

n00b
Im not sure if this is normal for LCDs but when the screen is black, the top and bottom have an odd tint to it. Its almost like theres a glare on the top center and bottom center of the screen when black is being displayed. I recently RMAd my last monitor cuz the tint was REALLY bad. Viewsonic sent me this replacement but the tint is not completely gone. Does anyone know what im talking about? Also, what frequency should I be running w/ this monitor for it to look best. The manual says 60 Hz but it can go up to 85 i believe.

I am using the VP171B and it has been perfect since I got it. The Hz does not matter for a LCD screen so I would leave it at 60Hz. If the tint is still there after 2 different monitors, I would look at your video card as the possible problem. My VP171 has worked perfectly at 1280x1024 for at least a year.

Ive noticed another problem. While playing WC3, during an ingame cinema the terrain sort of flickers as the camera pans. I think they might have sent me another defective monitor :( . Does this behaviour for an LCD seem abnormal?

I also get the "flicker" that you're talking about. I think its just the way the LCD works with brush, like in trees/floral items. I only see the flicker when I'm in a forest, or some kind of setting like that.

Originally posted by Gollum0000
Ive noticed another problem. While playing WC3, during an ingame cinema the terrain sort of flickers as the camera pans. I think they might have sent me another defective monitor :( . Does this behaviour for an LCD seem abnormal?

Only thing I could think of is maybe that's the dithering in play, which is used to simulate 24bit color even though the panel only does 18bit color.

Ok. The link below shows the pictures of my monitor and hte problem Im having. The monitor is tinted at the top, bottom, right, and left of the screen when viewing black. (It looks blue in the picture due to the digital camera but its actually a grayish color.) Im guessing this isnt normal, but this is the 2nd vp171 (first one i RMAd cuz of this) .

http://www.geocities.com/gollum0000/

Should I send it back? Maybe I am just getting really unlucky.

wow that is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse than mine is.... I had a little at the top and a little at the bottom, it was so small it didn't even bother me, but when I looked again today after seeing your thread It has decreased greatly from 2 weeks ago when I first got the monitor. The bottom is gone and the top is almost all the way gone, just a little left of center now. So it might get better with time. As far as the refresh rate mine was at 85hz when I installed it and I have just left it there.

Those are "leaks" of light from the backlights of the monitor. Every LCD has them, although those a little bigger that normal.

Mine used to do the same thing, but like ROL21's, it's greatly reduced in the 6 months or so I've owned this monitor. Either that, or I just can't notice it at all anymore because I've gotten used to it. But I do remember noticing it when I got it. If you want to take the time to look through the giant VP171b thread there was, I think some people had a similiar problem, you could always PM them to see if their's went away.

Back