Voltage Control with 7970 Crossfire?

FaRKle0079

2[H]4U
Any tips on OCing CFX 7970s?

So far I've tried CCC, Afterburner, and Trixx.

CCC works perfectly, but no voltage control (and I'd like to see if my cards can do more than 1125 stable with a voltage bump).

Trixx doesn't actually apply the voltages to either card, even after disabling ULPS.

Afterburner (using -xcl method) only sometimes applies voltages, and isn't consistent. Both of my cards have the GHz ed. BIOS. When I go into a game, or benchmark GPU1's voltage stays at 1.149V while GPU2 sits at 1.218. If I change the voltage and apply it in Afterburner while a 3d app is not running it doesn't apply the voltage settings. If I apply the voltage settings after launching a 3d app it intermittently applies the voltage. Most of the time the GPUs sit at the 1.149 and 1.218, and occasionally go up to whatever I set in afterburner, then go back down to their other voltages. I left all of the unofficial overclocking fields stock, and do have the unlock voltage control box checked.

Another Afterburner issue I have is that when I turn on the computer and GPU2 is in ZeroCore mode Afterburner won't read its stats, and in the settings>monitoring page stats from GPU1 and GPU2 are missing. To get the full suite I have to close Afterburner, open a 3d app, then administrator open Afterburner. Anyone know how to make it work natively?

All programs apply clocks to both cards just fine, but none applies voltages. What are you guys doing to OC your CFX 7970/50s?

So I think I've figured it out.

I decided to run the stock BIOSes, on the cards. One card was a 1.175v card and the other was a 1.112v card. I decided to test each card individually and was able to clock each of them above 1200MHz (although for CFX 1200MHz seemed like a good number to settle on). The 1.175v card needed 1.235v to run stable at 1200MHz and the 1.112v card needed 1.225v for 1200MHz. Disabling Afterburner's "Synchronize settings for similar graphics processors" setting and then setting the values that I had obtained from single card testing let me control each card's voltage and clock and I'm now happily chugging away at 1200MHz in CFX.

I didn't try re-enabling ULPS, nor have I tried going back to the GHz edition BIOS. I got around CCC clock limits by using Asus' GPU Tweak. No "unofficial" overclocking in Afterburner or -xcl command was used.

Last edited:
Back