VOIP Server

lone wolf

Gawd
I am looking to change over my phone system at work to a VOIP System. Basically I have Fiber that handles my Data needs (125MB/75MB) I have a server that I have been using as my sandbox at the moment. I have the 3cx PBX system and softphones running, and its been rock solid so far. I have this on a supermicro system with a 8 core 6128 AMD CPU.

the question that I have is what is a good trunk card to use to connect it to the fiber system? I already have the line available as my current system comes in and it converted at the fiber harmonic box.

any good suggestions?

What do you mean by Trunk? SIP Trunk? PRI, FXO Ports?

I've also been looking at 3CX as of late. I've also been checking out the Patton PRI Gateways. They also make FXO gateways in 2,4,8 port configs

Yes I am wanting to do SIP trunking, in a Nortel system I have at another location, there are multiple cards for teh incoming phone system. I want to move those over to my fiber line as my telco will be switching over to this.

3CX should do sip trunking natively. If you want a layer of protection between you and the SIP Trunking network you could look at Ingate siperators. Might want to look at one of those Patton gatways to convert from SIP to PRI to work with the legacy phone system if your keeping it around

I'm looking at signing up with Clearfly. They feed the SIP trunk over your fiber connection to an Adtran router. The Adtran converts the signal to a PRI hand-off. Should work pretty good since the Adtran will auto-connect to the SIP trunks no matter what Internet connection it's on. Makes it easy to have a backup line. Best part is that you only need to plug in the Adtran and configure your firewall to inspect the SIP packets and you're done.

If he does that he'll still have to have a gateway of some sorts unless he can drop right to that adtran via SIP as well. I know there is a big enough internet pipe, but voice directly over the internet scares me. Say it with me now QOS... QOS... QOS

Yeah, you're right. They also offer a straight SIP Ethernet hand-off. Part of the setup is getting the QoS configured on your gateway.

Unless the ISP honors those QOS tags why bother. The second those packets leave the network it is what it is.

We've been doing well so far with no QoS outside of our network. We used 3CX + nexVortex for SIP trunking services. Each site is running on AT&T's network, fiber to our building with an Ethernet hand-off.

About 150 devices at the moment. Our bill is quickly going from $8500/mo down to less than $1500/mo. :)

Our PBX is also virtualized on our XenServer cluster. Gave it 8GB of RAM (uses less than 2GB under full load), and 4 CPU cores (2GHz AMD from a 6128).

Also according to nexVortex, we've ran 72,253 minutes from midnight on the 1st of this month until right now when I just checked it. That's not counting our site to site calls from extension to extension. So we've easily put 100k minutes on it this month.

We've been doing well so far with no QoS outside of our network. We used 3CX + nexVortex for SIP trunking services. Each site is running on AT&T's network, fiber to our building with an Ethernet hand-off.

About 150 devices at the moment. Our bill is quickly going from $8500/mo down to less than $1500/mo. :)

Our PBX is also virtualized on our XenServer cluster. Gave it 8GB of RAM (uses less than 2GB under full load), and 4 CPU cores (2GHz AMD from a 6128).

Also according to nexVortex, we've ran 72,253 minutes from midnight on the 1st of this month until right now when I just checked it. That's not counting our site to site calls from extension to extension. So we've easily put 100k minutes on it this month.

what extension to use! I GOTS LOTS!!

Creeper.gif

3CX intrigues me. Have it setup at home, but wish it wasn't the free version. Always wondered how well the bridge works in the paid for version and if it carries the extension information over the bridge and if presence was available over the bridge.. etc

3CX intrigues me. Have it setup at home, but wish it wasn't the free version. Always wondered how well the bridge works in the paid for version and if it carries the extension information over the bridge and if presence was available over the bridge.. etc

You'd only need the bridge if you wan't to put a 3CX PBX at each site. Talk to a reseller and they will usually give you a demo key that cuts the simultaneous call limit to 2, but unlocks all the features. That way you can test multiple boxes with a full featured key. Heck, 3CX directly might do the same for you if you contact them.

Talk to Drew Trainum @ http://computerplusonline.com/ which is the reseller who we purchased our license through. He basically operates a small company here in TX. You can reach his email directly at drew@ their domain there.

You'd only need the bridge if you wan't to put a 3CX PBX at each site.

So you only have one main box at a Home Office for example that feeds 2 or 3 different locations? If that's the case how are you getting away with internet failure etc?

I would think I would want to have some redundancy built in, just case. I remember with Shoretel we had a pretty identical setup at each site. If we lost connectivity from each site we were fine because each side had their own t1. the other nice thing is we could take calls that came in to one site and direct them to the receptionist at the home office

So you only have one main box at a Home Office for example that feeds 2 or 3 different locations? If that's the case how are you getting away with internet failure etc?

That's correct and our main single point of failure. But for $8500/mo savings we took the risk. We're probably going to be adding a backup T1 line later on for the redundancy. I wanted to add TWC as a backup, but our options are limited in our area.

nexVortex also allows 2 alternative paths if our main connection goes down. It will route our traffic to the secondary IP if the primary stops responding. That would be where the T1 comes in.

I would think I would want to have some redundancy built in, just case. I remember with Shoretel we had a pretty identical setup at each site. If we lost connectivity from each site we were fine because each side had their own t1. the other nice thing is we could take calls that came in to one site and direct them to the receptionist at the home office

We can do the call redirect on one box just the same. But if you want that site redundancy, grab a proper demo key from a reseller to test it out. We opted out of it due to about $15k in extra software + hardware up front. I can't get everything I want, this worked out the best it could; given the resources. But I can push a T1 later, that way we're running on copper and fiber and can fail over if needed.

Trunking is a concept by which a communications system can provide network access to many clients by sharing a set of lines or frequencies instead of providing them individually.
SIP Trunking is a service that permits businesses that have a PBX installed to use Voice-over-IP (VoIP) even to outside the enterprise network by using the same connection as the Internet connection. For more info, refer http://www.therealpbx.com/sip-trunking.html

The Primary Rate Interface (PRI) is a standardized telecom service level within the ISDN specification for carrying multiple voice and data transmissions between a network and a user.

FXO port is a port that receives the analog PSTN phone line.

I am looking to change over my phone system at work to a VOIP System. Basically I have Fiber that handles my Data needs (125MB/75MB) I have a server that I have been using as my sandbox at the moment. I have the 3cx PBX system and softphones running, and its been rock solid so far. I have this on a supermicro system with a 8 core 6128 AMD CPU.

the question that I have is what is a good trunk card to use to connect it to the fiber system? I already have the line available as my current system comes in and it converted at the fiber harmonic box.

any good suggestions?

I do not have much idea about fiber system but if you are having problems with configuration, then I would suggest you to go for Hosted PBX VoIP where the service provider configures everything and also provides the equipment. You can check with some of the Hosted PBX providers:
grasshopper.com/
therealpbx.com/
ringcentral.com/

Back