VOIP over VPN question

c00kie

n00b
Hello,

I have a question on extending a VOIP system over a VPN to remote sites. At the moment we have a main office where the phone system resides and is set up. The future plan is to tie our 4 remote offices back to the main office with site to site VPN. Can the voip system be extended to the remote sites easily? I have done this plenty of times for only data, but I do not have much experience dealing with voip systems.

The switches at the main site are all procurve switches set up with lldp and seperate voice/data vlans, and the phone system is Mitel. The sites will all have cisco 5510 asa for the VPN and firewall. I am just not 100% sure how the remote office voice traffic would be tagged correctly coming back to the main site. Any input would be helpful.

I have 2 locations in which a VOIP system is shared through a vpn tunnel. I advised them originally that it would not be my recommendation but they ignored that and asked me to set it up anyway. It actually seems to work fine and I'd say the 2 things needed to make it work is decent bandwidth at both locations and a reliable tunnel. Hopefully your firewall has settings for VOIP management. I don't do Cisco so I can't say in your case. I'm using Sonicwalls and it works fine.

The cisco firewalls have qos so it should be fine for that. I just wonder how the phones at the remote site will be routed back to the VOIP system correctly if they are on another subnet. The tagged traffic would get stripped once it leaves the router, right? So perhaps rules would have to be configured on the main firewall to send that traffic to the voip system. I am still looking into this. Thanks for the reply.

Back