vnc and monitor

Nightfall

Limp Gawd
I have a small home network (2 computers running xp). I was just given and older computer (300 MHz Cyrix running 98se). I want to just have this computer up and running all the time with no monitor/keyboard/mouse attached.

I've been using Real VNC for a while and I thought I could just use it to control this new computer too. I can, as long as there is a monitor attached to it. If the monitor is unplugged, it tells me the connection is refused...

Is the computer not coming all the way "up" without a monitor (it sounds like it is but how would I check without a display?). Do I need to try another VNC program? Or am I just missing something here.

Thanks for reading!

I run a vnc server on a machine with no monitor attached. Two, actually. Plug the monitor in to start the server then connect while its still plugged in and maybe that'll work?

To find out, boot the pc, wait a few minutes, and then plug in the monitor to see whats going on with the pc. And with the new pc, you've gone into the bios and set it to not stop for any faults (keyboard, etc), right?

i think it's vid card dependant whether you need a monitor hooked up at boot. i remember seeing a guide to make the vic card think there was a monitor attached. basically you buy a 15 pin connecter at radioshack and connect resistors from r,g, and b + to the respective minux or something but i don't remember it exactly

Hmmm there is an idea. I think I've got some other old PCI video cards here, maybe better luck with one of those. I'll give that a shot.

If I plug in the monitor after it boots it is just black screen (there is a signal because the standby light goes from yellow to green).

And yes I do have it set in the BIOS to ignore errors.

Thanks guys!

Back