VMware Reporting Tools

Nybbles

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm currently working with a moderately sized VMware deployment. We have multiple ESX 3.5 clusters at multiple locations in North America. One of the big issues we have is with the reporting provided by Virtual Center. In VC, a lot of the detailed data is only retained in the "Real-Time" view, and anything older contains just a small subset of the counters.

Has anyone used any of the 3rd party ESX/VC reporting tools? Any input into their advantages or weaknesses? Do they interface with the individual hosts or with VC (preferred). Do they offer the ability to retain detailed data for longer periods of time?

At one of our locations, our VMware team is on the defensive saying that the performance is being impacted by external sources (network, storage, etc). When an issue does occur, we'd like to have a certain amount of historical data to use as a comparison to the current data which is tough to do with what we currently have.

What are you looking for that isn't contained in VC? CPU/etc performance ~should~ be kept historically as well. and you can change how detailed it keeps things in the long run.

Our storage subsystem has consistently been a trouble spot for us and we continue to see repeated bursts of super-high disk latency. In the real-time view, I can see details such as disk read/write rate, command rate, disk latency, etc, but if I look in the 'past day' view, I can only see 'disk usage'.

It'd be really awesome to be able to keep the extra counters for longer than it currently does. Is there a way to do this with just VC?

Back