Vizio P series (Sept 24th) + GTX 970/980

All the ports may not be HDCP 2.2 enabled.

My HU8550 has HDCP 2.2 on only one of the ports, rest according to the manual are not HDCP 2.2 enabled and thus allow for 4:4:4 @ 60 Hz, although I still can only get 4:2:0 with the new NV cards for whatever reason.

I think you might have cracked this one:

The product page says it has HDCP 2.2. If that SiL9679 chip is the only one that supports it currently, then it's clear that this TV won't be capable of full color 4K60. So much for HDMI 2.0.

Really rather disappointing if that's the case.

This is really GHEY :mad: So what other "affordable" 4K 60hz displays are out there that do 444? I know the response time half sucks, but does the Samsung UN65HU8550 handle 444???

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/te...-is-probably-wrong-thanks-to-hdcp-2-2-1256763:

http://www.vizio.com/p-series:

The product page says it has HDCP 2.2. If that SiL9679 chip is the only one that supports it currently, then it's clear that this TV won't be capable of full color 4K60. So much for HDMI 2.0.

Wow...yes...kind of grim from a PC perspective if that's the case...

This is really GHEY :mad: So what other "affordable" 4K 60hz displays are out there that do 444? I know the response time half sucks, but does the Samsung UN65HU8550 handle 444???

some people have reported success with that model on the NV forums.

I have the 55" version of the HU8550, though, and I'm still stuck at 4:2:0. I've been unable to determine if it's an issue with my configuration or if there is some firmware difference between the two sizes.

The response time is seems fine to me. Keep in mind the input lag tests you see floating around the net were done at 1080p upscaled to 4K, as there was no way to run the display at 4K/60Hz when it came out. The scaler definitely would introduce more input lag than just passing a native signal over.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/te...-is-probably-wrong-thanks-to-hdcp-2-2-1256763:

http://www.vizio.com/p-series:

Yes that would be disappointing. But even if it only supports 4:2:0, that option should at least be available in nv control panel for the 980s, but it's not so there is still some sort of driver/firmware issue involved here. From the looks of it, probably a driver issue if indeed another user was able to get 4:2:0 60 hz working on a 770.

that seriously better not be true...

I am already disappointed with the fact that even in 4:4:4 the chroma is not as good as it is on my seiki (like wtf?). I do wonder what happens when no HDCP is being used?

Linux does not support HDCP (at all) on nvidia nor does it support 4:2:0.

So I got the a reply back from Gigabyte customer service, here is the exact response:

gigabyte.png

So according to Gigabyte, their reference GTX 980 does not support HDMI 2.0. Well that's just great. I guess now we know what the problem is. <_<

Hopefully the 2.0 wasnt a gimmick im ordering a 55in p series tomorrow was planning get 2 gtx 970s to push it but think ill wait a bit for that purchase 30hz will still be fine for movies tho correct

So I got the a reply back from Gigabyte customer service, here is the exact response:

gigabyte.png

So according to Gigabyte, their reference GTX 980 does not support HDMI 2.0. Well that's just great. I guess now we know what the problem is. <_<

How is this not a con job? Nvidia has hyped up this card as having HDMI 2.0, and on Newegg's page they don't even list the type of HDMI so you can't tell.

Pack of thieves, all of them.

Hopefully the 2.0 wasnt a gimmick im ordering a 55in p series tomorrow was planning get 2 gtx 970s to push it but think ill wait a big for that purchase 30hz will still be fine for movies tho correct

It's "fine" yes but movies will still not be super smooth at 30 hz. I was watching some 24fps 1080p content on 4K@30hz and I was getting some jutter (mostly during panning or action shots). Setting the display to 24hz doesn't help either. Meanwhile 4K movies on the Netflix app work fantastically since the display is running at 60 hz (though it seems like it's 4:2:0 sampling)

Hopefully we'll see some HDMI 2.0 to display port 1.2 adapters in 2015 to at least alleviate this issue somewhat. I don't feel like buying another GTX 980 just to attempt to get 60hz output from my TV (if it's even possible to get 4K 60 hz working on a GTX 980 with HDMI 2.0 since 4:4:4 sampling at 4K 60 hz AND HDCP 2.2 is apparently not possible with the currently available 4K TV sets). I guess I'll be sticking to my 28" monitor for the moment to get my 4K gaming fix.

Last edited:
How is this not a con job? Nvidia has hyped up this card as having HDMI 2.0, and on Newegg's page they don't even list the type of HDMI so you can't tell.

Pack of thieves, all of them.

Ugg I have a NIB gigabyte gtx 980....how long is Neweggs return policy?

Ugg I have a NIB gigabyte gtx 980....how long is Neweggs return policy?

Newegg's return policy for video cards is "VGA replacement" only. I'm not sure if that means they would be willing to replace it with another branded GTX 980. I might be getting into this with them as well as this seems like a valid reason to return a card.

Edit: I looked at the manual for my Vizio P55 on their website and it indicates that the HDMI 5 port indeed supports HDCP 2.2 which would seem to indicate that it would not be capable of outputting a 4K 60 hz signal with 4:4:4 chroma with HDCP enabled.

Last edited:
Glad I ordered the EVGA gtx 980. Its listed as having hdmi 2.0 on their site, so hopefully its telling the truth. Card should get here in a couple of days. TV wont be here for 2 weeks. :(

According to vizio manual, hdcp 2.2 is on ports 1,2, and 5.

So...could someone try 3 and 4?

Unless vizio is completely punking us, that should still be capable of 1080p120 (in theory), right?

(Yeah, I know it's not HVM, yes, I know it will be 4k30 [or potentially 4k60 4:2:0] but...worth a shot?)

Seems like that would be manageable if 4:4:4 capable (from 4:4:4 1080p120 -> 4:2:0 4k60).

I don't understand why they would have their only 4k60 pc/low-lag/2.0 port limited for it's intended use, but not others...so those less functional ports could be used with a pc without those features? That makes zero sense to me. It would be one thing if there were other ports without hdcp and still 2.0 (as somehow lg/toshiba/samsung seemed to have figured it out). I almost refuse to believe there isn't some way around this (by disabling that chip?). If it's truly a limitation of the tv because of that combination of avoidable decisions, it's borderline ridiculous imho. Note to all television manufacturers: displayport, it's a thing. Limiting thousands of dollars of capable electronics because of an input option is absurd.

Might be time to cancel that order...sent them an e-mail. Shall see what they say about all this. :(

Someone should also probably get on nvidia about at least getting the 900 series up to 700 series support (wrt 4k60 4:2:0), unless I'm misunderstanding the current situation...it's early.

...and for ya'll with (seemingly?) Gigabyte hdmi 1.4 cards, I'm just come out and say that right there is a bunch of bullshit on their part, if true, and sincerely feel for you. I saw the (apparently incorrect, as it is 2.0 but said 1.4) listing on the msi site, which made me double-check before going evga. I wouldn't give up hope, perhaps the support person was wrong...still no clear proof the 900 drivers aren't to blame afaik, especially considering Kepler seems to be working fine for res/refresh.

(Keeping the probable issues straight is giving me a headache...4:4:4 4k60 conceivably hdcp 2.2 on the 2.0 port; 4k60 4:2:0 for 900 series conceivably drivers?)

Last edited:
(Keeping the probable issues straight is giving me a headache...4:4:4 4k60 conceivably hdcp 2.2 on the 2.0 port; 4k60 4:2:0 for 900 series conceivably drivers?)

Yeah, it looks like the problems are on both sides. Also this thing with some cards not being HDMI 2.0? I'm hoping that Gigabyte tech support was wrong on that one. The card in question is a reference model as well, so by all accounts it should have HDMI 2.0 if any of them do.

I was just looking at this. I'll take a 50" in 4K, even though I wanted a 40".

Needs this for productivity.

Edit:

I didn't know what the hell you guys were talking about when it came to 4:4:4 sampling. So I watched a Youtube Video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqEXNZXZVII

Immediately changed my mind. If this TV doesn't support 4:4:4 4K I'm looking elsewhere. Also needs a displayport. I'm not into HDMI for PC use.

Last edited:
I was just looking at this. I'll take a 50" in 4K, even though I wanted a 40".

Needs this for productivity.

Edit:

I didn't know what the hell you guys were talking about when it came to 4:4:4 sampling. So I watched a Youtube Video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqEXNZXZVII

Immediately changed my mind. If this TV doesn't support 4:4:4 4K I'm looking elsewhere. Also needs a displayport. I'm not into HDMI for PC use.

If you need a displayport, wait for the Seiki Pro series that will be coming out next year. They have a 40" model that has a displayport. Most 4K TVs will not have one, even the higher end models.

Email Vizio and ask them if their TV's are LED PWM Dimming/Flicker Free (Side Effects). Most TV's use 120-260hz LED PWM Dimming frequencies=eye watering experience for me as a desktop monitor.

I saw in the owner's thread @ AVSForum that there is a backlight scan mode @ 900hz. I expect that low-refresh PWM (i.e. 120-260hz) would be incompatible with 900hz backlight strobing. Haven't looked into the veracity / source of the claims, but there it is.

Last edited:
So it looks like no one has 4:4:4 output working on any Samsung TVs, either. The few people that were claiming it did, had their DPI cranked up to 200% and were not noticing the chroma artifacts as a result.

The only 4K TV it seems to be working on is the newer LGs

Iv'e been following this thread, that's too bad that the Vizio can't do 4k@60 with 4:4:4.
Just so I understand this correctly, it would be possible through HDMI 2.0 if it wasn't for the HDCP 2.2 that's on the Vizio P series port #5?

If its impossible with this TV, are there any 65"+ screens coming out in the near future that will be able to do this?

If you need a displayport, wait for the Seiki Pro series that will be coming out next year. They have a 40" model that has a displayport. Most 4K TVs will not have one, even the higher end models.

Yeah I heard about that. Since that will be more geared towards PC users, I'll wait for that one. 40" is the sweet spot for desktop use.

Imho 50" is sweet spot, but 39-40" for me is minimum size at which 4K seems acceptable, unlike all those 24-28-31.5-32" ones ..

Will a 10gb hdmi cable run 1080p at 120hz or will i need a 18gb from what im reading everywhere hdmi features dont really matter so got no clue

So is a firmware update able to enable this? Or could the ports not be the hdmi 2.0b spec on the Tv/gpu?

I got my 70p yesterday and have been watching/testing it off and on and when i bypassed my receiver and hooked directly up to the tv i was able to do 1080@120hz and 2160@60hz all on a cheap $12.00 hdmi 1.4 25ft cable with 2 670's. I cant try out my new redmere cable because its a little too short, i may try and move something around later to see if it will reach. I need to do more testing to see what chroma it runs at in those modes but my guess is its not 4:4:4 but i didnt notice any discolored or blurred text.

I just wanted to report that I finally got a chance to do some gaming on this thing.

Its input lag is *excellent*. At 1080p@120Hz it has less input lag than the seiki SE50UY04/SE39UY04 does at the same resolution/refresh rate. I would say its input lag is about on par when the seiki's are at 720p@240Hz. I am *extremely* sensitive to input lag and I had absolutely no issues playing quake on this thing.

If the 60Hz thing gets fixed this will be an excellent display for games. Very good input lag @ 4k30Hz too (compared to the seiki).

I meant to do some CRT testing (Linux should be more sync'd on the displays than windows) and try to get some real input lag numbers. I borrowed my dad's nikon D80 for this but it died after a single picture so I borrowed his newer nikon and I plan to re-do this test to get some rough input lag numbers or atleast compare them (seiki/vizio) with a CRT.

I saw in the owner's thread @ AVSForum that there is a backlight scan mode @ 900hz. I expect that low-refresh PWM (i.e. 120-260hz) would be incompatible with 900hz backlight strobing. Haven't looked into the veracity / source of the claims, but there it is.

If only someone would spend the 30 seconds looking at this test to verify...

I got my 70p yesterday and have been watching/testing it off and on and when i bypassed my receiver and hooked directly up to the tv i was able to do 1080@120hz and 2160@60hz all on a cheap $12.00 hdmi 1.4 25ft cable with 2 670's. I cant try out my new redmere cable because its a little too short, i may try and move something around later to see if it will reach. I need to do more testing to see what chroma it runs at in those modes but my guess is its not 4:4:4 but i didnt notice any discolored or blurred text.

It can't be 4:4:4 since 4K 60hz with 4:4:4 sampling is impossible on HDMI 1.4. I noticed that you have the P70. I'm more convinced now than ever that for some reason 4K@60hz with 4:2:0 sampling is possible on the P70 but not possible on the P55.

Back