Vizio P series (Sept 24th) + GTX 970/980

Ok so I did some additional testing tonight.

No go with the $200 monster cable... same issue.

what are you going to do with that cable? total loss? and the vizio doesnt have as much clarity so that too is a loss unless 120 hz works?

Last edited:
houkouonchi: but i guess you tried with your sig's 670, thus hdmi 1.4 (overclocked though)? Imho if monitor is able to do 60hz should be asked only from those having gpus actually having official hdmi 2.0 support, 970/980, no? If this monitor claims to have such support, it's hard to officially expect it to have it by any other input means that actually are official 2.0-ish imho.

From what people have been saying on avsforums, apparently HDMI 5 is picky about what it'll accept as input. Have you tried 720p with any of the regular HDMI ports? Also disappointing to hear you couldn't get 4k60 to work either. 55" was a no-go as well for The_Dark_Abyss.

Edit: Also also, which 980 did you get Houkouonchi? Some manufacturers might not be including HDMI 2.0(!?):https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/776257/geforce-900-series/no-hdmi-2-0-in-9-series-/ https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/777174/geforce-900-series/hdmi1-4-on-gtx-980-cards/
Lots of variables here.

Edit again: maybe it has it, maybe not: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/2h81bx/msi_gtx_970_gaming_twin_frozr_v_4gb_has_hdmi_20/

Last edited:
From what people have been saying on avsforums, apparently HDMI 5 is picky about what it'll accept as input. Have you tried 720p with any of the regular HDMI ports? Also disappointing to hear you couldn't get 4k60 to work either. 55" was a no-go as well for The_Dark_Abyss.

Edit: Also also, which 980 did you get Houkouonchi? Some manufacturers might not be including HDMI 2.0(!?):https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/776257/geforce-900-series/no-hdmi-2-0-in-9-series-/ https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/777174/geforce-900-series/hdmi1-4-on-gtx-980-cards/
Lots of variables here.

Edit again: maybe it has it, maybe not: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/2h81bx/msi_gtx_970_gaming_twin_frozr_v_4gb_has_hdmi_20/

From what I've read, all the reference 980s should have HDMI 2.0. I have submitted an inquiry with Gigabyte so I'll see if I can get an answer from them.

From what I've read, all the reference 980s should have HDMI 2.0. I have submitted an inquiry with Gigabyte so I'll see if I can get an answer from them.

This whole situation is slightly disconcerting as I think it may require a Vizio firmware update. I find it hard to believe they didn't test this before sending it to market though. Does anyone have the Sony XMP-X10 to test with? That is listed as being HDMI 2.0 4K60.

http://store.sony.com/sony-4k-ultra-hd-media-player-zid27-FMPX10/cat-27-catid-All-Internet-Players

-

I am wondering if anyone has yet got this Vizio working @ 60Hz yet at all? I have heard people on the samsung have got it working under windows but I don't think I actually saw anything for the vizio yet.

The Samsung is working although no one is getting full 4:4:4 output that I've seen. I'm still seeing chroma artifacts on my HU8550.

The manual for the HU8550 also states it does support 4:4:4, so I don't know what's going on.

I really wonder what TV models Nvidia even tested this on.

I got the GV-N980D5-4GD-B

Most of the other people I have seen testing have been on samsung right? that thing had chroma issues for me even at 30Hz....

I don't understand this. PC games will look different in 4:2:0 vs. 444? I just started up a random game and tested that and I see no difference in picture quality, just the low hz. Clarity is identical to me.

Have you scrolled down and selected resolution from the NV control panel under PC instead of TV? A custom resolution is not needed since it's listed.

Have you tried doing that while connected to hdmi 1-4?

Thanks for testing.

Do redmere cables even work with 4K60 signals?

It's a 18gbps cable so there's no reason why it wouldn't work.

Have you scrolled down and selected resolution from the NV control panel under PC instead of TV? A custom resolution is not needed since it's listed.

Under PC there are fewer options available, with the only 4K option being 4096x2160 at 24 hz. I any case, since it's unclear whether or not my 980 even supports HDMI 2.0 (I still haven't heard back from tech support) and there has been some confusion about whether or not some of the third party cards (i.e. MSI) actually supports HDMI 2.0, this may just be an issue of the cards not having the HDMI 2.0 chip onboard.

I don't understand this. PC games will look different in 4:2:0 vs. 444? I just started up a random game and tested that and I see no difference in picture quality, just the low hz. Clarity is identical to me.

I don't notice a difference in games, but it's a huge difference on the desktop. Fonts look really bad in 4:2:0. If you want to use your TV as a monitor 4:4:4 is a must.

It's a 18gbps cable so there's no reason why it wouldn't work.

Under PC there are fewer options available, with the only 4K option being 4096x2160 at 24 hz. I any case, since it's unclear whether or not my 980 even supports HDMI 2.0 (I still haven't heard back from tech support) and there has been some confusion about whether or not some of the third party cards (i.e. MSI) actually supports HDMI 2.0, this may just be an issue of the cards not having the HDMI 2.0 chip onboard.

Is there a selection on the tab for 24hz, a drop down box to adjust? I'm sure you tried, I'm just confirming.

Looks like we may be able to say this is a vizio issue cause nv 4k60hz has worked for me with a plethora of sets at 420 on a titan.

I don't think this a card software or card hdmi issue since all of the 700 cards work at 4k60hz at 420.

I tested to see if nvidia linux drivers were truly borked with the seiki as it is not picky on modes it will accept (and atleast *try* to display)... Well with the seiki I was able to push *well over HDMI 1.4 spec. I was able to push 48 Hz (425 Mhz pixel clock) and still get output (and it detected as 48 Hz, of course it ran through its scaler and looked like crap) but it shows the video card was outputting a signal (previous driver versions would not output once >: 340 Mhz pixel clock) and is well exceeding Hdmi 1.4 bandwidth (340 Mhz). Any higher and I got 'no support' on the display until I got up to 438 Mhz pixel clock and then once I went higher than that it went from 'no support' to 'no signal' but it didn't seem to be at a specific frequency (it wasn't exactly at 438 Mhz) and I suspect this is an issue with the seiki just completely rejecting the signal that is so far out of spec (50% over its regular max pixel clock)

were you able to get the seiki stable at anything above 30hz without scalar/artifact issues?

were you able to get the seiki stable at anything above 30hz without scalar/artifact issues?

At everything > 30 Hz the scaler activates and its basically getting downscaled down to 1080p and back up to 4k so it looks like ASS but thats always been the case even on HDMI 1.4 spec.

It was usefull to see it was able to take a 425 Mhz signal and that the video card was indeed outputting at > 1.4 spec.

I get my 60 inch Vizio P and Gigabyte 980 on Tuesday, this thread doesn't have me optimistic.

As long as the cards are actually equipped with HDMI 2.0, it should be resolved by Nvidia or Vizio via firmware / drivers. Vizio is pitching this TV specifically to PC gamers who are interested in 120hz so I would hope this issue gains some traction.

With that said, I am waiting to pick up the 50" until I see reports of 4k@60 working with 4:4:4.

As long as the cards are actually equipped with HDMI 2.0, it should be resolved by Nvidia or Vizio via firmware / drivers. Vizio is pitching this TV specifically to PC gamers who are interested in 120hz so I would hope this issue gains some traction.

With that said, I am waiting to pick up the 50" until I see reports of 4k@60 working with 4:4:4.

And I'm waiting until 4k60 at 4:2:0. Cause my titan has done that for awhile and I'm not giving that up.

And I'm waiting until 4k60 at 4:2:0. Cause my titan has done that for awhile and I'm not giving that up.

Yea, I think support for 4k60 at 4:2:0 solves most of the issues for computer media consumption and gaming with this display. I am hoping to use this as a replacement to my triple monitor setup which is why I am holding out for 4:4:4 for the superior text display.

I recently just picked a 55" P series and indeed it is a great TV. I'm using it right now as my PC monitor (along with a couple of GTX 980s in SLI) and while it works great, I seem to be unable to get the full 60HZ to work at 4K resolution. I've tried both the 344.11 and the 344.16 drivers and neither gives me this option. Anyone know if there is a option on the TV itself that must be enabled to run 4K at 60hz?

Can you try adding a custom resolution from the nvidia panel with these timings to see if you can get 60 Hz @ 4k?

Pixelclock:
Active Horizontal Pixels:
Horizontal Front Portch:
Horizontal sync width:
Horizontal back porch:
Active Vertical Pixels:
Vertical Front Portch:
Vertical sync width:
Vertical back porch:

Both H/V polarity set to positive (+).

Can you try adding a custom resolution from the nvidia panel with these timings to see if you can get 60 Hz @ 4k?

Pixelclock:
Horizontal Front Portch:
Horizontal sync width:
Horizontal back porch:
Active Vertical Pixels:
Vertical Front Portch:
Vertical sync width:
Vertical back porch:

Both H/V polarity set to positive (+).

I've tried that before and it doesn't work. However, I do notice that nvidia control panel detects that the native resolution of the vizio as 1920x1080 not as 3840x2160. This is probably why that resolution doesn't show up in the PC resolutions. This seems to be an issue with the EDID so I guess a firmware update or driver update might fix it.

I've tried that before and it doesn't work. However, I do notice that nvidia control panel detects that the native resolution of the vizio as 1920x1080 not as 3840x2160. This is probably why that resolution doesn't show up in the PC resolutions. This seems to be an issue with the EDID so I guess a firmware update or driver update might fix it.

Did you use those exact timings or just try manually doing a 60Hz mode?

Those timings are the CEA-861B standards and this TV seems to be extremely picky on modes it accepts and that is also the mode it is advertising via EDID.

The EDID looks perfectly fine on mine except there are some modes in the EDID that it doesn't seem to accept.

Did you use those exact timings or just try manually doing a 60Hz mode?

Those timings are the CEA-861B standards and this TV seems to be extremely picky on modes it accepts and that is also the mode it is advertising via EDID.

The EDID looks perfectly fine on mine except there are some modes in the EDID that it doesn't seem to accept.

I tried your settings and I just get a black screen with "no signal" despite the test being successful. However, in my nv control panel settings there are no options for horizontal/vertical back porch.

Edit: I definitely think it has at least something to do with the EDID since on my ASUS PB287Q (connected with displayport), it lists many more options in the PC resolution section including 3840x2160 (native) at 60 hz. Similar to the Vizio there is no option for 3840x2160 at 60 hz in the "Ultra HD, HD, SD" section, just 3840x2160 @ 30 hz.

Last edited:
I tried your settings and I just get a black screen with "no signal" despite the test being successful. However, in my nv control panel settings there are no options for horizontal/vertical back porch.

Edit: I definitely think it has at least something to do with the EDID since on my ASUS PB287Q (connected with displayport), it lists many more options in the PC resolution section including 3840x2160 (native) at 60 hz. Similar to the Vizio there is no option for 3840x2160 at 60 hz in the "Ultra HD, HD, SD" section, just 3840x2160 @ 30 hz.

Oh I forgot nvidia changed their formatting as it used to be a bit different.

Here are the settings with the new one that replaced 'back porch' with 'total pixels':

Code:
Nvidia:
Pixelclock:
Horizontal Front Portch:
Horizontal sync width:
Horizontal Total Pixels:
Active Vertical Pixels:
Vertical Front Portch:
Vertical sync width:
Vertical Total Pixels:

On my 70 inch the modes are in the EDID its just a black screen.

Now the driver could be looking at the max pixel clock of the HDMI port and if that is being exceeded it could simply not be showing the modes as it thinks it is going over hardware capabilities but that would only make sense if it was HDMI 1.4. Should be ok on HDMI 2.0

Oh I forgot nvidia changed their formatting as it used to be a bit different.

Here are the settings with the new one that replaced 'back porch' with 'total pixels':

Code:
Nvidia:
Pixelclock:
Horizontal Front Portch:
Horizontal sync width:
Horizontal Total Pixels:
Active Vertical Pixels:
Vertical Front Portch:
Vertical sync width:
Vertical Total Pixels:

On my 70 inch the modes are in the EDID its just a black screen.

Now the driver could be looking at the max pixel clock of the HDMI port and if that is being exceeded it could simply not be showing the modes as it thinks it is going over hardware capabilities but that would only make sense if it was HDMI 1.4. Should be ok on HDMI 2.0

So I guess that brings us back to the Gigabyte GTX 980 possibly not having an HDMI 2.0 port? My inquiry with them is still "in process" <_<

Or one can also try some beta drivers, as card being new one and first ever having hdmi 2.0, and one can also try with some first tier vendor 4K TVs, that may have higher chance of hdmi 2.0 working. Sony, Samsung and alikes.

So I guess that brings us back to the Gigabyte GTX 980 possibly not having an HDMI 2.0 port? My inquiry with them is still "in process" <_<

Although linux does see it as being HDMI 2.0:

Code:
(--) Sep 25 07:35:55 NVIDIA(0): VIZ P702ui-B3 (DFP-1): Internal TMDS
(--) Sep 25 07:35:55 NVIDIA(0): VIZ P702ui-B3 (DFP-1): DFP is not internal to notebook
(--) Sep 25 07:35:55 NVIDIA(0): VIZ P702ui-B3 (DFP-1) Name Aliases:
(--) Sep 25 07:35:55 NVIDIA(0):   DFP
(--) Sep 25 07:35:55 NVIDIA(0):   DFP-1
(--) Sep 25 07:35:55 NVIDIA(0):   DPY-2
(--) Sep 25 07:35:55 NVIDIA(0):   HDMI-0
(--) Sep 25 07:35:55 NVIDIA(0):   DPY-EDID-7d3a8a02-47c8-7089-6bde-8492f8c4bf89
(--) Sep 25 07:35:55 NVIDIA(GPU-0): VIZ P702ui-B3 (DFP-1): 600.0 MHz maximum pixel clock

Here is what it looks like on a GTX 670:

Code:
(--) Sep 25 16:33:25 NVIDIA(0): VIZ P702ui-B3 (DFP-1): Internal TMDS
(--) Sep 25 16:33:25 NVIDIA(GPU-0): VIZ P702ui-B3 (DFP-1): 340.0 MHz maximum pixel clock

This is very frustrating. I have two Windows 7-64 bit rigs, one has an EVGA GTX980 and the other has a GIgabyte GTX980 waiting to be installed as soon I receive my EK waterblok for it, so I could solve this debate about HDMI 2.0 support between the different brands.

Unfortunately, I do not have a 4k 60hz display or UHDTV to test on, but I will be in the market to buy a 60hz 4k tv in about two weeks. I had my eye on the 70" Vizio or the 65" curved Samsung, but my purchasing decision was going to rely on which works the best in full 4k 60hz with the GTX 980s....so I am in a catch 22 :mad:

This is very frustrating. I have two Windows 7-64 bit rigs, one has an EVGA GTX980 and the other has a GIgabyte GTX980 waiting to be installed as soon I receive my EK waterblok for it, so I could solve this debate about HDMI 2.0 support between the different brands.

Unfortunately, I do not have a 4k 60hz display or UHDTV to test on, but I will be in the market to buy a 60hz 4k tv in about two weeks. I had my eye on the 70" Vizio or the 65" curved Samsung, but my purchasing decision was going to rely on which works the best in full 4k 60hz with the GTX 980s....so I am in a catch 22 :mad:

I went ahead and ordered a 65'' P. I needed about a fingertips touch to push me over the edge, and reading (the verge? I forget) an article they mentioned at the launch party they had the 65'' P going against the 65'' 8500 with identical settings (so I assume they could verify it's wasn't total and complete bullshit conditions), and the viz held it's own in quality and looked better with motion (not surprising given response time on samsung panels is typically not great compared to some others, granted other panel aspects and their name-brand video processing is superb). Good 'nuff for me, even if that scenario is bias as hell.

I know it sucks to say this (especially to current owners), but be realistically patient for a solution. Like I said, this is likely vizio's their first foray into multiple resolutions/refresh rates (for pc use). It's probably borked in the edid/firmware...I seem to remember nvidia recently had to get another company to patch their firmware to get things working right. This is the first commercially available 2.0 video cards. It's probably borked in the drivers (conceivably on multiple levels given past 4k60 4:2:0 support over 1.4 [which apparently doesn't work yet here] vs our goal of 4:4:4 over 2.0). One has been on the market about a week, the other (officially) about a day. It would be great if nvidia/vizio had worked this stuff out beforehand, but that's probably asking a lot. I think it's reasonable to expect new tech pains and for them (especially vizio) to be figuring out how everything is supposed to work/communicate/function.

That said, don't give it time pushing for an answer...Go harass nvidia's (and vizio's?) twitter/chat/e-mail or phone support/driver feedback/etc, see what they say, and then give them a little time. If this doesn't get figured out on some reasonable level, that would suck immensely, and I will be truly and thoroughly pissed...but I think it will.

I wish I had both required components in hand, as I would kindly e-mail anyone and everyone (Kyle/Ryan/Scott/whomever seems cool, understands the sitch, and could get wheels turning) to politely ask they get ahold of pertinent people at nvidia (and vicariously vizio through nvidia as they did with past monitor issues with other companies; your TWIMTBP dollars at work) to get to work figuring this stuff out. I have to imagine it's possible whatever issues may be related to this tv could be potentially similar issues with other displays (over hdmi 2.0).

Thanks again for the updates, guys. If my set arrives before this gets figured out, I will be right there with you to help find/acquire a solution.

Last edited:
Can one of you if even possible check to see if the Silicon Image SiL9679 chip is being used for the HDMI 2.0 port on the Vizio P and/or the 900 series cards. If it is then this is likely part of the problem everyone is experiencing.

Can't decide whether to get a 50" P-series or three 27" X-Stars, using SLI GTX 970s

I am actually planning to move from a very similar triple monitor setup to the 50" P-series. Time to simplify things for me. I am really hoping the Clear Action functions like ULBM for 1080p 120hz.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Can one of you if even possible check to see if the Silicon Image SiL9679 chip is being used for the HDMI 2.0 port on the Vizio P and/or the 900 series cards. If it is then this is likely part of the problem everyone is experiencing.

I think you might have cracked this one:

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/te...-is-probably-wrong-thanks-to-hdcp-2-2-1256763:

The chipset used is the Silicon Image SiL9679, currently the only solution available to any equipment manufacturer. The catch is that the SiL9679 doesn't support the full 4K 4:4:4: colour space; it's a compromise 4:2:0 solution, created for deployment in UHD displays.

http://www.vizio.com/p-series:

With HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0, P-Series connects to all of your next-gen UHD devices - cable/satellite boxes, Blu-Ray players and game consoles.

The product page says it has HDCP 2.2. If that SiL9679 chip is the only one that supports it currently, then it's clear that this TV won't be capable of full color 4K60. So much for HDMI 2.0.

Really rather disappointing if that's the case.

Back