Visual Studio on a Netbook?

frewtz

Limp Gawd
I'm currently considering a ASUS Eee PC 1201N and was wondering if it would handle what I would throw at it. I'll be running Visual Studio, SQL Server + Management Studio, a Web browser, IIS, etc, etc.

I intend to use it primarily for web development, surfing the net, and occassional Photoshop image editing. I'll probably upgrade the memory to 4GB. I like the idea of having something ultra portable and light weight. Would this netbook do or should I look at laptops instead?

I'm coming from a dell X1 latitude which is roughly the same dimensions/screen size. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

I would look at a laptop, netbooks are great for browsing and chatting but not much else. Even on small g++ programs it takes quite a while for it to compile maybe like 500 lines of code (my netbook is an asus EEE 1008ha)

Got VS 2010 Ultimate RC on an Eee PC 1000H. Yeah, not the greatest experience. Putting all that a netbook just won't be fun. You don't need a Core i7 laptop but some decent REAL dual core device at a minimum.

Plus for VS 2010 the average netbook screen will be too small. VS Studio is an app best suite for a device with a screen that is large but it's not bad on my 12"1 1280x800 tm2 TPC.

For development, you don't want a netbook. You want screen resolution, a good-sized keyboard, and performance, none of which is offered by a netbook.

You'll have to let us know what you plan to "throw at it". You can run those programs, sure. Are you actually using them? How big our your builds? How much I/O do you expect to do with SQL Server? Maybe you're just doing trivial work, like for a college course. You probably can live with the slowness, but even then that depends on your own patience level and tolerance for pain. Are you doing more aggressive work? Then, it'll depend on your specific workload.

As it stands, you're asking us how many balls you can fit in a box, but you've told us neither the size of the box nor the size of the balls. Yes, the balls will fit.

VS 2010 Full Version(I have a license from Dreamspark) Runs great on my Sidekick 1000HE Asus, with 1GB Ram, onboard Graphics (no ION) it runs fine with chrome open.

You'll have to let us know what you plan to "throw at it". You can run those programs, sure. Are you actually using them? How big our your builds? How much I/O do you expect to do with SQL Server? Maybe you're just doing trivial work, like for a college course. You probably can live with the slowness, but even then that depends on your own patience level and tolerance for pain. Are you doing more aggressive work? Then, it'll depend on your specific workload.

As it stands, you're asking us how many balls you can fit in a box, but you've told us neither the size of the box nor the size of the balls. Yes, the balls will fit.

I'll definitely have VS '08 (or later), SQL Server Management Studio, and Firefox (maybe even winamp for some music) running concurrently. I definitely won't be trying to develop an enterprise level app on it, but I'm guessing it won't be something trivial.

The app(s) will start off small and grow as needed....maybe no more than 500~1000 lines of code. dB size of any project I'll be working on will range anywhere from 5-10 tables w/ no more than about 100~200 records.

I'll just be working on my own personal side projects where I can improve my skill set and try out new technology. It won't be my primary development machine...just something I can take with me to a bookstore/coffee shop so I can get away from all the distractions at home. :D

more ram and a quick ssd and you'd be surprised what you can do. hdd bottlenecking seems to be a common method for tricking people into getting more powerful computers. that said, netbooks are a pretty uncomfortable experience. i'm a bit of a masochist, though.

when will dualcore + htt netbooks show up, i wonder :] - will be the next netbook i get, at least

The app(s) will start off small and grow as needed....maybe no more than 500~1000 lines of code. dB size of any project I'll be working on will range anywhere from 5-10 tables w/ no more than about 100~200 records.
Since you're doing such small projects, I don't think you'll have much trouble. It's still a matter of personal preference, of course -- some people can't stand even small delays.

Check out the HP DM3. I have one with a SSD and it's amazingly quick. I prefer developing in Visual Studio on that thing over my desktop. Though it would be nice to have a 22" screen. It's only an inch bigger than that netbook, and I think the base model is pretty cheap although I would spring for some upgrades. I think it's a similar form factor to what you want, it's incredibly small.

Even if your projects are relatively small and the netbook turns out to provide enough power to get the job done, I'm not sure how you will get past the tiny resolution. I feel cramped with a standard 1280x800 laptop display- I couldn't imagine doing anything but the smallest edits on a netbook.

Back