Vista x64 users : which registry cleaners ??

ShePearl

Limp Gawd
Hi. Recently upgraded to Vista x64 from Windows XP 32-bit.
Everything's very good. From stability to performance, I find it hard to fault.

Now, I was using jv16 PowerTools for registry cleaning/optimization in Win XP. However jv16 PowerTools does not have 64bit version.. it does not work properly in Vista x64. :(

Which registry cleaners are you using, Vista x64 users?

Ah.. Ccleaner... I've been using that, too. Very nice tool. However its registry cleaning performance is not good at all. I wouldn't call it a registry cleaner.

Registry cleaners are fake tune ups that unscrupulous companies utilize to take money from anally retentive people (see prefetch cleaner).

Got a bloated registry? So what? Woot 1kb of space was cleaned. The only way your registry will clog your system is if malicious software modifies it to exploit your system. If that's the case forget reg cleaners, reformat, and install an antivirus.

If you're installing software that you don't trust and the uninstaller will conveniently leave modifications that you don't want (yaaahaaar, a pirate you be!), then use sandboxie or some kind of machine virtualization.

Registry cleaners are fake tune ups that unscrupulous companies utilize to take money from anally retentive people (see prefetch cleaner).

Got a bloated registry? So what? Woot 1kb of space was cleaned. The only way your registry will clog your system is if malicious software modifies it to exploit your system. If that's the case forget reg cleaners, reformat, and install an antivirus.

If you're installing software that you don't trust and the uninstaller will conveniently leave modifications that you don't want (yaaahaaar, a pirate you be!), then use sandboxie or some kind of machine virtualization.
I still prefer to use registry cleaner/optimizer whenever possible. :cool:

I've been using Registry Clean Expert 4.xx (www.registry-clean.net) for a couple of months now and I like it and it's the only one I could find that works properly with Vista x64. It's not free though and you can try for 30 days, but when you uninstall it, you get a message saying you can get it for free by downloading some other software or something like that, so you could try that. I have also tried jv16 PowerTools 2007 but all versions (most recent is 1.7.0.416) seem to get caught in a loop or something when performing a registry clean under Vista x64. It gets stuck at a registry key and keeps scanning that over and over again, give it a try, maybe you're luckier than I am.

Back