Vista/Win 7 Issues

Cstelly

n00b
So I have a Vista box that I put some HDs into awhile back so that I can use my PS3 Media server from there as opposed to having to have my Laptop (Win 7) always up to watch movies. Everything was working fine and was able to create a Network Shortcut to a folder/location on the Vista box from the Windows 7 laptop and view/change/delete files anytime I wanted to. A few weeks ago I updated to Windows 7 Sp1 on the Laptop and now am prompted with login information for the Vista box. When I enter the information correctly it still does not take this. Has anyone come across something like this or have any idea what could have happened and what can be done? If you need more information please let me know and I will try to update with more.

Have you tried logging in with PCNAME\username. I found this works for situations like this rather well.

I believe I have done this with no luck. I will try when I get home but I do not believe it will work. I was told by someone to possibly try setting up linux on the box. My concern is how my PS3 Media server will work.

Yes that is what I am using. Any suggestion on what distro of Linux I should use and direction of a page I can read on setting up file sharing? Any help would be great. I am going to digg around here on HF and see if I can find something.

Any Linux distro will do, as long as you run Samba you should be fine. I prefer Ubuntu Server (you may want to install the gui) as it has a large group backing it as well as many online resources.

Also, +1 to the PCNAME\user, that's how any SMB share on a Windows/Linux based system should be accessed. For a Mac, it's PCNAME/user if I remember correctly.

I would also check the firewall, as the others have said, Sp1 may have deactivated a critical port upon install.

Back