Vista on Macbook Pro as only OS possible?

Yes.

Had WHS as the only OS on my old iMac for a period of time. Just use the Vista installer to wipe out all other partitions.

Not having or having OS X on the drive has no way of affecting the hardware in that way.

Title explains all

You can but you will want to burn the driver disk first. Personally if you are going to do this I'd either have an external drive with mac os to boot off of or leave a small partition on it with mac os for things like firmware upgrades and driver updates.

Alright guys, I believe that my question has been answered and then some thanks for all the responses and tips

I'm going to follow on what swatbat recommended when I purchase the new MBP 13"

You can but you will want to burn the driver disk first. Personally if you are going to do this I'd either have an external drive with mac os to boot off of or leave a small partition on it with mac os for things like firmware upgrades and driver updates.

Not necessary. The OS X installation disk contains Windows drivers for the touchpad, sound chipset, keyboard media buttons, etc.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to do that? OS X isn't perfect by any means but it's a nice OS with great power management.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to do that? OS X isn't perfect by any means but it's a nice OS with great power management.

It's still just a PC with a different OS by default. If he wants to just have Vista on there by itself, more power to him. Could be that he wants to game without having to restart the computer or something. Who knows...

It's still just a PC with a different OS by default. If he wants to just have Vista on there by itself, more power to him. Could be that he wants to game without having to restart the computer or something. Who knows...

Yeah that's true, since i'm moving off to college there's going to be lots of MS Office use as well as some gaming while I slack off

OS X will be used just to learn more about the Mac OS as well as browsing, IM, video & more general use

Why buy a Mac at all? Part of the (very slight) premium Mac customers pay covers the cost of a good OS. Vista, by most accounts, is not all that good. I'm sure there are some very good 13" PCs with video cards with discrete memory that cost less than a 13" MBP. And you won't have to pay an additional fee for the big suck that is Vista. For the Mac you'd need to buy it separately.

Why buy a Mac at all? Part of the (very slight) premium Mac customers pay covers the cost of a good OS. Vista, by most accounts, is not all that good. I'm sure there are some very good 13" PCs with video cards with discrete memory that cost less than a 13" MBP. And you won't have to pay an additional fee for the big suck that is Vista. For the Mac you'd need to buy it separately.

For the portability, thinness, and build quality I don't know if there is one better at the 13" size. 14" might be a different matter. My coworker has an Asus laptop that he absolutely loves that is 14". Has a 9300GS but when we popped it open we found out you can upgrade EVERYTHING in it. Definitely something you can't do with a Mac...

And really, Vista isn't bad. It's funny how many people I come across that say that. I've never had a problem with it. Always runs well (on newer hardware mind you) and rarely ever crashes. Frankly I've had more problems "making the switch" than anything else. OS X can really piss me off from time to time.

Why do I want to buy the Mackbook Pro 13"?

The hardware specs are where I need it to be, GMA 4500MHD is not enough for my needs and neither are the ULV processors

I would highly dislike discrete graphics due to increase in heat output as well as battery life which is important in my case, since both the Intel and nVidia graphics have the same TDP and one has much more performance in it, why not get that one?

Build quality, color gamut, the LCD, LED backlit, battery life, cooling performance, keyboard design, etc

Seriously mHubs?
He JUST answered that like 2 posts ago. I wouldn't personally go his route but if he wants to that's not a big deal.

I tried windows 7 on my macbook and it worked no problem, you might want to use the RC till it's released. From what I remember, it works better than Vista did, windows 7 did things like show the brightness and volume changes I made onscreen. I don't think Vista did, but it's been a while.

BTW, the MBP 13" and 15" have downgraded to SATA 1, see my recent post.

Once you have it, sit down on a quiet sunday with a cup of coffee and check OSX out. You'll like it.

Going from OSX to Vista is like downgrading from a Benz to Geo Metro, why waste money buying an MBP in the first place:confused:

Going from OSX to Vista is like downgrading from a Benz to Geo Metro, why waste money buying an MBP in the first place:confused:

Geez....again....for the class of notebook, it's probably the best deal around.

Not to be mean or anything but does anyone read any of the posts in this thread? It's like once you see Vista and Mac in the same sentence everyone goes apeshit about how Vista blows or why the hell you shouldn't waste money on a ----> PC <---- if all you're gonna do is run Vista on it. Vista works great on it...the trackpad sorta sucks for it and the sound is honestly really shitty in Vista but I attribute that to Apple doing a shitty job with drivers which makes me think they're doing it on purpose (could be true?).

OP, if you got the information you needed I recommend asking a Mod to close the thread. Its just going to (already has) turn into a flame fest.

OP, I would highly recommend that you keep the smallest possible OSX partition for updates. I'm not sure how easy it is to do firmware updates without going through OSX. I have a coworker who uses Linux exclusively with his MB but keeps OSX for these purposes. rEFIt is a very simple and clean boot loader that makes it easy to switch between the two.

OP, I would highly recommend that you keep the smallest possible OSX partition for updates. I'm not sure how easy it is to do firmware updates without going through OSX. I have a coworker who uses Linux exclusively with his MB but keeps OSX for these purposes. rEFIt is a very simple and clean boot loader that makes it easy to switch between the two.

Holding the the option key at boot is another easy way to switch between the two... :rolleyes:

Back