Vista is a dog - internet performance

deathBOB

[H]ard|Gawd
Vista is dog slow sometimes, especially when something is being downloaded or it's accessing the internet for whatever reason.

I'm on a wireless connection (Netgear WPN111 usb adapter) and I have done the fixes listed in the forum faq and it took care of most of my problems, but it's still slow. Any ideas/help?

I don't think it's my computer (P4 2.4, 2gb, 6600GT), everything else is snappy.

slow as in transfer rate or in general? i've downloaded plenty of things and have felt nothing in terms of a slow down

I have had many downloads going and surfing the net/checking email at the same time with no slow downs.

On my desktop and Wifi Laptop the same, Vista is just as snappy as XP on the net and downloading for me :)

No problem here either, using the onboard nic. Maybe try the onboard and see if it makes a difference? You could also run a broadband speed test, to see what that shows.

Vista's network stack is better than XP's by far because I can now surf the web and download 5 torrents at the same time without one slowing down the other to a crawl.

Maybe it's the USB adapter?

Just as a tip, you might consider going into the NIC properties and unchecking everything except the actually needed support: uncheck the network topology protocols, IPv6 support if you're not actually using it which is probably true, etc.

I've noticed some issues with those topology protocols on various setups; 99.999% of people have no need for such things, and those that do know enough how to use it.

When I first got Vista installed on a Core 2 Duo laptop recently, it would disconnect consistently using a wired connection. I disabled/unchecked everything except IPv4 support and the disconnects stopped happening.

Just as a test, I waited a few days with no disconnects, re-enabled the entire networking stack as listed in the NIC properties, and after the reboot sure enough, I started having the disconnects again.

So my advice is: disable/uncheck anything you are not actively using or require, which typically means just keeping the Client for Microsoft Networks if you're on a home network, File and Printer Sharing if you do that on that home network, and IPv4 support.

Just my $.02...

Vista's network stack is better than XP's by far because I can now surf the web and download 5 torrents at the same time without one slowing down the other to a crawl.

Maybe it's the USB adapter?

Does this mean that one would no longer have to throttle their upload rates in torrents anymore to achieve maximum download rates?

That would be an issue with the broadband technology itself; outside an OS' jurisdiction.

Does this mean that one would no longer have to throttle their upload rates in torrents anymore to achieve maximum download rates?

Not to get too far off-topic, but most of the time people just don't understand how torrents and the technology behind it works. The point is: you don't want to max out your upload speeds with torrents, that defeats the entire purpose and only serves to harm your download speeds.

There's a sweet spot between the upload and download speeds, and just because you might have a fast upload link doesn't mean maxing it out for torrents will help your download link - it'll actually have a negative effect overall and slow things down.

Take your max upload speed and shave off no more than maybe 60% for torrent uploading and set that max in your BitTorrent client, that should keep you rolling along smoothly. Example: You're on a 1 Mbps uplink which translates to roughly 125KB/s max uploads, so set the max upload in your BT client to roughly 60-75KB/s and it should work great.

Maxing out the uploads or not giving the BT client a max to work with will have negative side effects on your downloads. All this stuff is fairly well explained in most any BitTorrent documentation or FAQs.

</off_topic>

If anything Vista is faster in this regard. New network stack.

Even my latency dropped in WoW by as much as 50%.

Back