Vista Home Premium = Vista 64?

TerranUp16

[H]ard|Gawd
What I'm Looking At

The disclaimer seems kinda vague. I have an AMD Opteron 185 2.6GHz Dual Core that supports 64-bit, and very much wish to take advantage of its 64-bit capabilities (no, it may not be true 64-bit, but it is still nevertheless an improvement). I am also looking to (not gleefully) upgrade to Vista. The above would be the ideal solution, but whether or not it supports Vista 64 does not seem clear. When I actually searched for Vista 64, all I found were OEM System Builder variants. Therefore, given the disclaimer and that, I'd assume this does indeed support Vista 64, but I wanted to be absolutely certain before I made my purchase (I'm also planning to get another 2GB of RAM to give me 4GB, and that would be useless w/out 64-bit support, b/c I can only use DDR thx to my mobo).

The upgrade you are looking at comes with the 32 bit media. You have to contact microsoft for the 64 bit media, but your key will work with both. With the OEM box, you either get 32 bit or 64 bit and they are not interchangeable.

Here's the disclaimer on the upgrade box:

"Disclaimer: Includes 32 bit DVD and information on obtaining 32 bit CDs or a 64 bit DVD, additional fees may apply."

if i am not mistaken all variants of vista are contained on one dvd.i have the upgrade version of vista home permium and it contains the other versions of vista at a higher price of course.:D

i think you could dl a copy of vista 64, you technically have a license, not sure how that works out.

if i am not mistaken all variants of vista are contained on one dvd.i have the upgrade version of vista home permium and it contains the other versions of vista at a higher price of course.:D

Correct, but there are two separate discs, one for 32bit and one for 64bit. Each contains all the versions though (Basic, Premium, Business, Ultimate, etc.)

Correct, but there are two separate discs, one for 32bit and one for 64bit. Each contains all the versions though (Basic, Premium, Business, Ultimate, etc.)

It's not going to contain business, that and Enterprise are on separate disks.

Enterprise is the only edition of Vista not distributed on the OEM or Retail DVDs that nearly everyone has access to in retail stores or online resellers.

The Business volume license/MSPP edition is on a separate disc.

But Business edition is on the same disc :rolleyes:

I know the volume/enterprise versions on are a separate disc, but the Vista Business version is on the same disc as the others.

Business edition is like Home Premium, but takes out Media Center and replaces it with Domain Support and RD Host support.

You need to run Business or Ultimate to join a domain, hence why it is included on the disc.

"A picture is worth a thousand posts of rebuttals..."

choicesbf6.png

From a Vista x64 Retail DVD. As already mentioned, the volume license edition of Vista Business comes on its own specific media, as does Enterprise.

choicesbf6.png

From a Vista x64 Retail DVD. As already mentioned, the volume license edition of Vista Business comes on its own specific media, as does Enterprise.

What does the 'N' stand for?

iirc, it's the European versions that have Windows Media Player stripped out, possibly IE7 also. Maybe Media Center too, I'm not sure. I should install them sometime to see exactly what the precise differences are... that's what's so great about virtual machines: you can toy around as much as you want and experiment, learn stuff, and never really cause any "damage." :D

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/1961/choicesbf6.png[/IG]

From a Vista x64 Retail DVD. As already mentioned, the volume license edition of Vista Business comes on its own specific media, as does Enterprise.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, that is what I see everytime I install Vista I just dont run a VM currently so I couldnt take a screenshot :cool:

But Business edition is on the same disc :rolleyes:

I know the volume/enterprise versions on are a separate disc, but the Vista Business version is on the same disc as the others.

Business edition is like Home Premium, but takes out Media Center and replaces it with Domain Support and RD Host support.

You need to run Business or Ultimate to join a domain, hence why it is included on the disc.

Yes, you are correct, I misspoke originally and then corrected myself. I only deal with the volume license versions usually

iirc, it's the European versions that have Windows Media Player stripped out, possibly IE7 also. Maybe Media Center too, I'm not sure. I should install them sometime to see exactly what the precise differences are... that's what's so great about virtual machines: you can toy around as much as you want and experiment, learn stuff, and never really cause any "damage." :D

The N versions just take out media player 11 from what I've seen. Since Business and Home Basic don't include media center, it isn't there to take out for the N version.

I have 4 versions of Vista 32 of 3 different kinds and I tried to get vista 64 and I put in the product key's and they say they are invalid to all 4 of them, That is why I will not use Vista anymore. It's a rip off.:(:mad:

I have 4 versions of Vista 32 of 3 different kinds and I tried to get vista 64 and I put in the product key's and they say they are invalid to all 4 of them, That is why I will not use Vista anymore. It's a rip off.:(:mad:

Uhmmm... that took almost NSA level decryption to decode it for me personally, but anyway... all it takes is a phone call to Microsoft to have new keys issued if you own legitmate copies and are having issues with getting Vista installed, even with multiple copies.

As long as you're legit, they'll provide you with replacement keys.

The N versions just take out media player 11 from what I've seen. Since Business and Home Basic don't include media center, it isn't there to take out for the N version.

Must be something to do with the DRM restrictions in some areas. Interesting, always wondered what the N versions were.

Did you get them preinstall on a machine like a Dell or HP or something? Are they OEM copies? There are some restrictions on which copies you can order additional media for hence why you have to type in your product key...

Uhmmm... that took almost NSA level decryption to decode it for me personally, but anyway... all it takes is a phone call to Microsoft to have new keys issued if you own legitmate copies and are having issues with getting Vista installed, even with multiple copies.

As long as you're legit, they'll provide you with replacement keys.

I think he is talking about ordering 64 bit media where you have to type in your product key to be able to order it. Some copies of Vista are not eligible to order alternative media.

I think he is talking about ordering 64 bit media where you have to type in your product key to be able to order it. Some copies of Vista are not eligible to order alternative media.

Yeah, retail and upgrade you can get the 64-bit media from microsoft for a nominal shipping fee. If you have an OEM version, your stuck with whatever that version is unless you "upgrade" it.

Yeah, retail and upgrade you can get the 64-bit media from microsoft for a nominal shipping fee. If you have an OEM version, your stuck with whatever that version is unless you "upgrade" it.

Also for what its worth, the people who got a copy of business from the Power Together event are eligible as well.

Just ordered my 64 bit copy for my power together copy :)

You're right about Media Player being removed, but don't confuse Media Center with Media Player. Those are two separate applications.

You're right about Media Player being removed, but don't confuse Media Center with Media Player. Those are two separate applications.

Uh yes, both Home Basic and Business don't include media center. Therefor the N versions can't take it out, if it's not there to begin with. What point are you missing?

The wording of your post led people to believe you were treating Media Center and Media Player as the same thing. No need to cop an attitude about it.

The wording of your post led people to believe you were treating Media Center and Media Player as the same thing. No need to cop an attitude about it.

Ah, I see where your coming from. If you read it with the originally quoted post, it's more clear.

Back