Virus Question about MSE--Microsoft Security Essentials

surfbug

Limp Gawd
Virus question about MSE. I'm trying to load MSE, and I get this warning:

C:\Documents and Settings\Robin\MyDocuments\antivirus\mse \mssefullinstall-x86fre-en-us-xp.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

Is this because of the virus that I have on my compact laptop, or do I really need a valid Win32 application.

P.S. The virus I have

In my experience “not a valid win32 application” invariably means a corrupt executable. I’d guess that what has happened here is that your web browser did not download the entire setup file, but stopped half way. Internet Explorer is particularly bad in this respect: it tells you that a download is complete, when you can see that it is not because the download size is not what it should be. It usually happens when the connection is poor, either at your end, or because of a busy server. It beats me why browsers don’t make a basic check on the file size after download. It can also happen with a CD or DVD install, if the disk is corrupt or the drive is failing; or if your hard drive is failing. The usual solution is to re-download the file.

http://www.itwriting.com/blog/873-w...2-application-mean-say-with-chrome-setup.html

Is this because of the virus that I have on my compact laptop,
P.S. The virus I have

If the PC is infected...yes anything running in RAM can become corrupted by the active malware. Also a lot of malware infects the TCP stack/winsock files, so things you download can be screwed with.

I'd download the installer from a healthy PC, transfer it to the infected PC via removable media. Try installing it that way, attempt to update it, scan/clean.

Can also try running a tcp/winsock repair utility.

Or yank the drive of the infested PC, slave it to a healthy PC with an up to date AV and a few malware removal tools, and clean it.

Back