Virtual Directories? Not even sure of nomenclature...

Morlock

Limp Gawd
I use Daz Studio a lot. I've never liked the way the Content Library works, and I still don't. For years I've used Advanced Library for Poser via a plugin that allows it to send calls to Daz Studio. But it's been showing its age, and hasn't been updated since 2014, and then only to modify it so it doesn't expire automatically. If you happen to know how AL4P works, you can skip to the end where I ask for software that allows me to create what I call "virtual" directory structures.

Otherwise, some description is in order. AL4P has a structure somewhat similar to Windows Explorer; directory tree on the left, and on the right a folder view that shows the contents of the currently selected folder. Unlike WE (AFAIK), you can create "virtual" folders, folders that only exist within AL4P, and in this way, sort real Windows content in almost any way you like, without actually moving it around.

E.g., in Daz Studio, a lot of content falls under the "People" directory. Inside that is a series of folders, one for each "person" (different 3d models). Inside each of those is another series of folders for each type of content; characters (skins and morphs), hair, clothing, poses, etc.

Sometimes this works okay, but more often, I want to do it the other way around; I want to see all my female or male clothing in one folder, or all my female or male hair, etc. In AL4P this is really simple. I create a "Clothing - Female" or "Hair - Male" virtual folder, then I navigate to the WE folder I want shown within, and I add it. I can do this as often as I wish - if I want to create a folder with all my "Futuristic" clothing for every 3d figure, I can.

This makes it much easier to find stuff.

Okay, that's need number 1. Need number 2 is much more niche, and I doubt it will be met, but I'll ask anyway. Software designed to work with Poser or Daz Studio content knows how to display files in a Daz/Poser-friendly way. Typically, Poser/Daz content is not just a single file, but 2 or more; one is the actual content, and the rest are secondary types like thumbnails or morph files. Typically, Poser/Daz-friendly display means the thumbnail and the actual content file are "merged," in that only the thumbnail is shown (and the larger thumbnail shown only if the smaller thumbnail is hovered over), but the actual content file is called if the thumbnail is double-clicked. Other secondary types (morphs and the like) are typically not displayed.

2 is nice to have, but 1 is much more important. I need to be able to create "virtual" directory structures so I can quickly navigate large file structures in different ways, depending on context.

Anyone know any software that will do #1 with a minimum of fuss? Now that I think about it, I suppose I need it to work like a WE plugin, because I can drag and drop Poser/Daz content from WE into Daz Studio, so #1 might be a lot more niche than I supposed.

If I could even get some nomenclature on the things I'm referring to, search terms I could use, advice about the types of software out there that tend to use the methods I'm describing, that might be a big help, too.

I'm starting to get the hang of libraries, but the hundreds of highly-paid devs at Microsoft still managed to turn out something far inferior to Dizzi's one-man pro-bono Advanced Library project. Is there any way to change the sort order of GROUPS in File Explorer or Windows Libraries? ATM it seems to be limited to the order in which they were added.

Back