Virginia’s $40 Toll Road Better Be the Future of Driving

I get what they are trying to do, but you would think a DNS redirect or something wouldn't be as offensive. Manipulating page code before it gets to you is over the line.

Also, a benefit to having "surge pricing" on roads is that it can help promote people working hours other than 9 AM - 5 PM. If some people worked 8 to 4, and others 10 to 6, then the same amount of road could be used to transport more people. In theory, surge pricing could help encourage this behavior, ultimately reducing costs for everyone.
It's a nice idea, but companies don't care how their employees get to work, just that they are on time. Unfortunately too many are still on the 8-5 schedule. I've been lucky and worked for places that were flexible with the schedules and could work 9-6 or whatever hours (salary.. so I also got to take work home with me :( ). Before the government or road authorities try to encourage staggered traffic they need to work with businesses to make sure that eat Buy opens at 9:00, Office Max opens at 10:00, the grocery stores don't open until 11:00... just as an example. Until the businesses are staggered to allow employees to come in at different times, it doesn't make a difference what the surge pricing is for because people will still get hit with it.

There was a road like this in San Diego that connected the 405 and the 5, can't remember the name. It was like $12 each way for about a 5 mile trip. We used to use it to go street race on because literally nobody drove on it.

Your traffic sucks, but in my visits to CA, I've never found the roads nearly as bad as places like LA, MS or AL, for example. It's not even a close call. You've already addressed your Mass Transit issues, though I'd add that sprawl probably makes the problem virtually impossible to solve. I suspect there are people commuting from 60 miles (more?) out in some cases, which is insane.

I only have a 6 mile commute, and no need to get on the freeway :D
One of the main reasons I stick with my current job, even though I could make a little more money elsewhere.

One of the main reasons I stick with my current job, even though I could make a little more money elsewhere.
I don't blame you. I always try to live withing 15 minutes of work (and less is better).

Yup, I'm about 6-10 minutes away from work driving on city streets. I used to work elsewhere where the freeway is needed and it took 25 minutes if zero people were on the roads, and about 2 hours if I'm driving in commute directions, not fun, but such is the problem of home ownership, getting up and moving close to work is not exactly viable compared to renters.

Long live the Commonwealth, comrades!

Seriously, is Marie Antoinette the governor now? Let them take the bus...., (makes it rain in tollbooth and peels out in Ferrari)

VA is corrupt af (gov mcdonald was caught for it) and this is just another example of money buying legal favors.

Back