Viewsonic VX2025wm not detected as dual display

busta_cap

Limp Gawd
I've been using a Viewsonic VX2025wm as my single display for two years with not one single complaint. I've just built a new PC (partial specs listed below; full specs in my sig) with an Acer AL2216W 22" widescreen. After moving the Viewsonic to the new computer and attempting to connect it as a dual display via the video card's second DVI port, The Acer monitor displays the desktop as it should, but the Viewsonic's screen stays black, the power LED stays orange and it's not detected or listed at all in Device Manager.

If I connect the VX2025wm to the old computer's DVI port, it displays just fine. When I unplug the Acer monitor from the new computer and leave the Viewsonic connected, it displays the desktop, but it is not shown in Device Manager as a monitor (in fact, the Monitors entry is missing altogether in Device Mgr).

Switching the DVI ports the monitors are connected to has no apparent effect.

The NVidia Control Panel section for setting up multiple displays only shows the Acer monitor available. I've tried the NVidia Forceware's Rigorous Display Detection function, but it doesn't detect the monitor. And the Force Detection function doesn't work either.

After searching around for a bit, I've seen that people have had certain DVI port-related problems with the VX2025wm some of which have been corrected by connecting it to another computer via a VGA port; neither of my computers have a videocard that has a VGA port (both have dual DVI ports and a S-Video out).

System details: CPU: AMD Athlon x2 6400+ | RAM: 4gb OCZ Reaper | Video card: Zotac 8800GT AMP edition w/512mb | Other monitor: Acer AL2216W | PSU: Antec EarthWatts 650W | OS: Windows Vista Ultimate | Nvidia driver: Forceware 175.19

I've tried monitor drivers (both signed and unsigned) from Viewsonic's website with no joy.

Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT - SOLUTION FOUND: Ok, so after some further searching, I found a solution that sort of worked. Disconnecting the power and DVI cables from the Viewsonic monitor for five minutes, then reconnecting them made it autodetect as a monitor in Device Mgr. Of course it only shows as a "Generic PnP Monitor" there, but the Nvidia Control Panel's Multiple Display screen shows the manufacturer and model number and I'm able to configure it. In fact, I'm typing this on the left (Viewsonic) display, while the right one is playing "David Gilmore Live at the Royal Albert Hall".

Weird, but it works, so I now have 42.1" (diag) of combined screen real estate. Woot!

Back