Viewsonic VP201s - Positive Feedback.

Clemson

n00b
Well, yesterday I got my new toys :)

I got 2 Viewsonic VP201S LCD's from a brick and mortar. They were a bit pricey at US $1300 each. I paid the up price, because they were hard to find, even in Dallas.

In store return/exchange policy matched that of the manufacturer. The funky dead/stuck pixels per in routine. However, the store offered it's typical extended warranty. That warranty came with a "Return em if you think they smell funny" clause. No Fear over dead pixels!!! (The store was Fry's Electronics - Mentioned because of the policy info)

Overall construction - The stands/bezels do not appear as cheap or plasticy as the others. I like the "feel" of them better than the Dell 2001fp's. No molecular density tests here, just that the Viewsonics felt a lot more sturdy.

Hooked them both up to my old system, standard VGA connection. OMFG - SWEET. Ran the LCDTEST, and found Zero dead pixels, Zero brightness issues, Zero complaints. I can't wait to get them onto my new 9800XT with a better cable connection.

One thing not mentioned often on reviews is size. These bastages are HUGE. I replaced a single Dell 21" CRT that the office "gave" me. Understand that a 21" CRT is actually about a 17" screen. The LCD's don't play that game. They are truely 20.1" screens. Instant 3" upgrade, and I got 2 of these puppies! A plus for dual monitors is that the bezels on these is only .67" in comparison to some that are close to 2 inches. I had considered going with 21-23 inch, but that would be annoyingly large. I would have to turn in my chair to see the whole screen.

As I said, I still have the old conection, no DVI yet. However they do look very impressive. There were no noticable flaws with the 21" Dell CRT I had, however the graphics here actually seem a LOT better. The VP201's have a slight screendoor effect if you are very close to them. I have them approx 18" away, and can see a very slight effect, *IF* I look for it.

I ran a 3DMark 03 test, just to see them in action. Wasn't planning on testing my 2 year old video card. The test ripped through several game cut sceens. I notice 1 instance of ghosting during the whole test. It was so fast, that it was over before I realized what it was. IMHO it wasn't as annoying as I have become to believe.

I would have to give these monitors a 4.5 out of 5. They lose 1/2 a point for the price in comparison to other 20.1" screens. A good sell, or another $100 price drop would bring them in line nicely.

Nice review. Can you tell me more about the panel used on these? I'm thinking about a vp171b or vp191b cause i dont want to pay $1300 for an LCD lol. I heard that the vp201s used the same panel as the dell 2001fp's with 16ms. Is that true? I wish you would of bought the vp191b's instead so i could find out how good they are for gaming lol.

From what I have read and seen, it is the same panel as the 2001FP's. I mainly chose Viewsonics because of the "rest of the monitor" and the fact that I could pick them up locally - no shipping/RMA games with Dell over dead pixels.

I forgot to mention games. Like I said, the games shown in the 3DMark test looked SUPERB. I also play a lot of Anarchy Online. When I started AO, it actually looked better to me than the Dell CRT. Both monitors were run in a 1600x1200 resolution, with the game running windowed at 1280x1024? I think. That was not the native resolution for the monitor, but all the colors seems a lot more crisp and vibrant. I would have been pleased with a comparable quality or slightly less. I was very pleased to see that it actually appeared better. The true power test will come with the digital connections later this week (C'Mon Newegg!!!)

I realize that appearance is in the eye of the beholder. Seeing as how my eyes are inderectly tied to my wallet and ego, I may be biased. $1300 + the "Daaaaaaamn look at those monitors" factor = Sweet IMHO. We also tested DVD's, pics, and wallpapers. All of them were very crisp, clean images.

Once the new system is built, I will try out the typical range of games and give an "average Joe" review of their perfomance. This one was more geared towards the physical monitor, dead pixels, ghosting, screendoor.

Is this panel used on the vp191b or just on the new vp201s's? I'm looking to get a good LCD for $800 or less so the 20.1" version is out of the question lol.

EDIT: Ok the vp201s is 16ms response time. Will viewsonic use this same panel on their 19" LCD's or just on the more expensive 20.1" and larger?

I don't know. I have never seen where the info actually comes from. I've just read that the 20.1" are the same across several different manufacturers.

I would safely assume that the 19's use the same panel as well though.

Clemson - Which Fry's did you buy yours from?

I have a buddy in the bay area who lives near a Fry's and uses them all the time because of their return policy. I didn't think they carried high-end monitors though??

Does it come with the USB Hub, and more importantly the S-Video Input like the 2001FP does?

Originally posted by Clemson
Well, yesterday I got my new toys :)
Understand that a 21" CRT is actually about a 17" screen. he LCD's don't play that game. They are truely 20.1" screens. Instant 3" upgrade

Or you could understand that is utter bullshit, and anyone who believes that over 3" of your 21" monitor were covered by a bezel deserves what they get.

I got them from the Fry's in Plano.

As far as the monitor -- The diagonal measurment is 17.5 inches --- so yea. I'm not quoting anything that I've read there -- I actually got a tape measure and measured it myself, because it did look so small in comparison.

Back