VideoCardz: NVIDIA says “GET AMPED” for GTC 2020 Keynote on May 14

Snowdog

[H]F Junkie
NVidia, switched, moved, delayed GTC keynote is on again,and it may be talking about Ampere:
https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-says-get-amped-for-gtc-2020-keynote-on-may-14

Does ‘getting amped’ mean we should expect AMPERE architecture news on May 14? Well, it appears so.

Due to the situation with the novel coronavirus, NVIDIA was forced to delay, shift, and finally change GTC 2020 into a digital event. It all seemed that the event was over, at least in the physical form.

However, today NVIDIA announced that the most important part of the event will actually take place. The keynote everyone was waiting for is now scheduled for May 14. The event will be published on YouTube. It is not said that the event will be live-streamed, therefore we expect a prerecorded keynote.

NVIDIA:

Get Amped for Latest Platform Breakthroughs in AI, Deep Learning, Autonomous Vehicles, Robotics and Professional Graphics
SANTA CLARA, Calif., April 24, 2020 — NVIDIA will release its GTC 2020 keynote address, featuring founder and CEO Jensen Huang, on YouTube on May 14, at 6 a.m. Pacific time.
Huang will highlight the company’s latest innovations in AI, high performance computing, data science, autonomous machines, healthcare and graphics during the recorded keynote. Participants will be able to view the keynote on demand at www.youtube.com/nvidia.
Originally scheduled for March 23, the GTC 2020 keynote was postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic. NVIDIA moved the conference online, where the GTC Digital event has attracted more than 45,000 registered attendees who have participated in 300 recorded talks and dozens of instructor-led sessions.
Announcements included in the keynote will be posted at nvidianews.nvidia.com.

Wait, I thought they canceled this years GTC?

"
Due to the situation with the novel coronavirus, NVIDIA was forced to delay, shift, and finally change GTC 2020 into a digital event. It all seemed that the event was over, at least in the physical form.

However, today NVIDIA announced that the most important part of the event will actually take place "

You guys have no idea how I'm excited for their top tier card :)

GTC is typically a technology update, not specific card info.
They’ll probably preview the Ampere architecture but I agree. I think we won’t have a paper launch of the Ampere cards until August at the earliest. Then the cards won’t ship until a month or two later. Hard to say how badly, if at all, coronavirus impacted their timelines. Maybe NVIDIA will surprise at GTC with a paper launch but I’m not holding my breath.

They’ll probably preview the Ampere architecture but I agree. I think we won’t have a paper launch of the Ampere cards until August at the earliest. Then the cards won’t ship until a month or two later. Hard to say how badly, if at all, coronavirus impacted their timelines. Maybe NVIDIA will surprise at GTC with a paper launch but I’m not holding my breath.

They could always introduce 3080 Ti first to alleviate manufacturing concerns (related to lower end and higher volume products) and to drum up excitement at the same time.

They could always introduce 3080 Ti first to alleviate manufacturing concerns (related to lower end and higher volume products) and to drum up excitement at the same time.

NVidia typically introduces the biggest die part first. Whether that is x80Ti or Titan. So I expect one of these to be first. I just don't expect it at GTC. GTC is where they will mostly likely discuss any architecture changes.

If AMD had something lined up for release around this May/June then I could see it. But with AMD’s next GPUs expected to release Q4 2020 then NVIDIA doesn’t really have a need to push these cards early.

Everyone is home bound good time to release new cards stimulus check could go right into Jens bank account.

Last edited:
Excitement and tears. And those tears will be like Jensen's bidet.

Last edited:
Back