Video Card Upgrade

DFinan

Weaksauce
Ok based on other advice I am upgrading some pieces of my system currently using

MSI 790FX-GD
965BE
2 Gb 1333 DDR3
5870 Video card
1Tb WD Black Edition HD

new system with upgraded components

Asus CrossHair V Formula MB
965BE Processor (Keeping this processor for now)
16 Gb Corsair vengeance 1600 DDR3
5870 Video Card (The piece I am questioning)
250 Gb Samsung SSD (Used for boot drive)
1Tb WD Black Edition HD
Corsair H100 for CPU

I use this for gaming, some work related stuff, but nothing related to video encoding. I am looking for a system that will let me run max settings on most games at 1900x1080 resolution on a single monitor. I may plug a second monitor in just to have the desktop or other apps running in the background.

The question I have is the processor and the video card I am not a big overclocker, is there any point in upgrading the processor to a 8350? Also same question on the video card I noticed new egg has the Sapphire 7950 for 269.00 including 2 games (one of which I was probably going to get anyway). So stick with current processor and card, upgrade one or both. Thanks for any input.

Doesn't look like your mobo supports anything over X6 http://us.msi.com/product/mb/790FX-GD70.html#/?div=CPUSupport

Also, 2GB or RAM is a joke. 4GB minimum!!!!
7950 is a killer card, but your current CPU (especially on stock MHz) will hold it back...
If you can OC that 965BE to some decent levels (4+ GHz) you should see improvements, but nothing close to same GPU with lets say i5 or 8350.

You ninjia'd me...;)

Good mobo for an upgrade. Definitely OC your CPU when you get it...

That cpu/gpu combo will not run newer games at max (far cry 3, crysis 3 etc.) Imo, you would be better served getting a cheaper mobo and a 3570k.

That cpu/gpu combo will not run newer games at max (far cry 3, crysis 3 etc.) Imo, you would be better served getting a cheaper mobo and a 3570k.

Well I got the motherboard used for 169.00 so I am not out big money there, a little more the a new intel board. Just trying to decide if I should stick with 965/ 5870 combo, upgrade the video card or video card/ cpu. For now sticking with AMD. May not be as fast as intel but there not exactly bad either.

Well I got the motherboard used for 169.00 so I am not out big money there, a little more the a new intel board. Just trying to decide if I should stick with 965/ 5870 combo, upgrade the video card or video card/ cpu. For now sticking with AMD. May not be as fast as intel but there not exactly bad either.
Gotcha. That's a good price for that board. If you've got the funds, an 8350 with a good cooler and a 7950 would be a very worthwhile upgrade from your current system. Crysis 3 is the first of heopefully many more new games that the 8350 does really with.

Back