Video card upgrade time! Also: 40" monitor or VR?

Present rig includes:
GTX680

It runs modern games admirably, but it's time to upgrade.
I'm still wishy washy on which direction I'm going to take, a new 40" monitor or a VR setup.

Either way, I'm going to need a new video card.

Present budget is $400-600 (maybe more if it's for a REALLY good reason) for the video card and frankly, I'm not sure if i should buy or wait for the next generation of releases.

I'm at information saturation right now AKA analysis paralysis and need a direction.

Sincerely

CE

Wait... new nvidia is right around the corner and if its a great card it should push 4k and vr equally well .. well worth the wait and see.

and if its to outlandishly priced or not enough bang for the buck the current gen will most likely come down in price allowing you to save a few bucks while you wait to see what Christmas and next year brings .

I'm still wishy washy on which direction I'm going to take, a new 40" monitor or a VR setup.

Why not both?

In all seriousness, get the monitor first, you don't want VR to be your only source of gaming. After everyone here has begun fawning over their VR setups, you'll probably have enough money saved up to buy one.

I just bought a 40" Samsung 4K TV... The JU6700.. Got it refurbished for $600. It's awesome. I've had some experience with the occulus rift and that is game changing, or will be eventually. I'd say get a 4K TV now. the graphics are very pretty. VR isn't really here yet and although it's very immersive which will be fantastic for gaming..... The quality of the graphics don't compare.

But then you will need to throw down for a GPU. I got the 980ti for $600 too and it works great. Getting playable frame rates on ultra settings on every game so far.. And this is with my aging AMD 1055t rig.

Whatever you do it's going to cost... Cheaper is round the corner for video cards with the next gen coming out. 4k TVs are quite cheap right now... Sony VR will be pretty affordable (If you have the playstation).. It's just knowing what direction to go in.. Best thing to would be to wait really... If you can't and I couldn't, I'd put some money towards a screen.

Wait... new nvidia is right around the corner and if its a great card it should push 4k and vr equally well .. well worth the wait and see.

and if its to outlandishly priced or not enough bang for the buck the current gen will most likely come down in price allowing you to save a few bucks while you wait to see what Christmas and next year brings .
Not really "right around the corner." Latest rumors point to an official announcement next month, with mobile products being launched in June. GP104 might launch alongside in June, with performance close to a 980 Ti. GP100 "Big Pascal" is not expected until late 2016/early 2017.

Present rig includes:
GTX680

It runs modern games admirably, but it's time to upgrade.

Either way, I'm going to need a new video card.

Present budget is $400-600 (maybe more if it's for a REALLY good reason) for the video card and frankly, I'm not sure if i should buy or wait for the next generation of releases.

I'm at information saturation right now AKA analysis paralysis and need a direction.

Sincerely

CE
If you're going 4k, consider a dual GPU card like a 295x2, should be able to find one well within your budget, I've seen them used for as low as $400. Unless the games you play don't support crossfire, then a single 980ti is your best bet.

I'd actually recommend a Radeon 390x.

Love the gaming, love the 8 gb of ram, and REALLY love the new DX 12 titles on it.

Back