Video card or mobo..which is dead?

VeryApe

Gawd
well, after a fresh install of xp, everything is fine, until i put in video card drivers, everything gets garbled and locked down. the card is a geforce4 4200.
the motherboard is a via chipset, think its an ecs board tho, no markings....prolly junk.

like i said, its all good until the video card drivers are installed, and i tried many different versions. the screen looks like it does when the memory is running to high, but nothing is overclocked. the card has ramskinks on it so i dont think its a heat problem.

any suggestions....i tried different system ram, different hsf on the processor, an xp2200, removing all but the vidcard and the system drive and i get the same thing....

do you install via 4in1 drivers prior to vidcard driver install?

if so ..try installing card in another comp (friends or otherwise) and see if same problem

the card is NOT overclocked, everything is at stock.

i didnt try the card in question in another machine, but i did try other cards in the machine in question, every time with dissappointing results.....

me thinks its the mobo...or maybe psu.....

You know, I had a problem just like that... I would put either my 9800 pro or mx440se in an old P4PE and install video drivers... upon doing so and rebooting, it would hang at the welcome screen... I thought the mobo was messed, so I tossed it aside. Few weeks later, clean install of XP with the MX440-SE, works perfectly now, dunno why... might be a software problem :)

Thats a geforce Ti 4200?

ramsinks?

Check the temp (by touch) getting to hot to touch is around 70-80 degrees, if its any higher than that its a heat problem.

This may sound stupid, but has it got a fan on it (im unawear of your PC knowledge so i had better ask) Some people buy cards second hand and get ones which are dead/nearly dead from home made botched HSF replacemnet jobs :)

If other cards are having the same problem i'd definatly do another format before any further more serious testing, i've had some dodgy installs with XP before, b0rking everything from optical drives to IE not working properly (no IE cookies) for absolutly no reason :/

the case does get a little warm inside, but the card has ramsinks and a fan that is working....

gonna try stickin a geforce3 in and cleaning out the drivers to see what happens....

Back