video card HDMI and audio

Straypuft

Limp Gawd
Looking to buy a N560GTX-Ti Hawk this week. I plan on hooking up my video card to my tv for movies mostly, but will be used most of the time with DVI.

My question is can video cards send audio through their HDMI ports, would i need a special cable to hook my video card to an internal audio connector?

Some cards need a mini hdmi -> hdmi converter. However my GTX 580 came with one. It also transfers sound perfectly, unless I OC'd it too high.

I think the msi card i plan on getting comes with a mini hdmi adapter. my tv only has 2 hdmi ports, I will have to put my cable box in via component cables until I can get a hdmi switch thingy.

In answer to your question about an internal audio cable - no, you do not need such a thing.

The card has an audio device built in just like if you were to plug in a set of USB headphones - it's independent of whatever audio subsystem you have in your PC.

I have my 580GTX hooked up this way to my 55" Vizio - works great.

Yeah, the video card also detects as another sound card in windows.

I run a similar setup with a GTX 460, the mini HDMI to HDMI that came with the card didn't reach all the way to my receiver so I instead use a 20 ft DVI to HDMI cable. Depending on the device your connecting to, you can run audio through the DVI to HDMI cable. Works great from a 460 to a denon receiver.

If you're going to buy a new cable, makes sense to get an HDMI. But if you've got a DVI to HDMI kicking around, it's worth a shot.

In answer to your question about an internal audio cable - no, you do not need such a thing.

The card has an audio device built in just like if you were to plug in a set of USB headphones - it's independent of whatever audio subsystem you have in your PC.

I have my 580GTX hooked up this way to my 55" Vizio - works great.

Speaking of USB headphones, today I learned that my USB headset does not like USB 3.0
(thought that since i could plug in a 2.0 flash drive, then the port would utilize anything)

Back