Video Card Disappeared

xavierq

Gawd
In the middle of playing a game all three monitors just turned off, sound and system remained functional. Rebooting does nothing, they don't show BIOS, and when I put a monitor in the onboard, Windows doesn't show the card at all, and the nVidia app says there's no nVidia gpu present.

It's an old system. z77 motherboard. I don't have the gpu specs off the top of my head, but I can pull the card and check if it'll make a difference.

Am I just buying a new vid card, or is this something fixable?

If it's an old motherboard, it COULD be the PCIe slot that went bad. Just as a possible "bright side"...

If you haven't yet, I'd put the card in a different slot.

While you're at it, assuming you know what I'm referring to here, you can always give it a quick smell test while it's out and see if it smells burnt. If you don't have experience with that sort of thing though, you may not have a clue what that tell-tale scent smells like... heh

Sadly, I'm all too familiar with that smell. I didn't smell anything when it happened, didn't hear a pop or anything, the monitors just all politely turned off and went into sleep mode. I've not smelled it up close yet, but none of the telltale signs of a component failing were there. That's why I made the post, hoping it might be something else.

Maybe the better question here is, are the new cards backwards compatible? Would a card that would work in a newly built system also work in a z77 board, or is it two different interfaces?

Just pulled the card, it's a GTX760.

Last edited:
Maybe the better question here is, are the new cards backwards compatible? Would a card that would work in a newly built system also work in a z77 board, or is it two different interfaces?

Just pulled the card, it's a GTX760.
Yep. PCIe is backwards AND forwards compatible with itself!
You only lose the performance that the newer generation specification provides, when used in a non-supporting slot.

For that matter, you can technically run you x16 graphics card in a tiny x1 slot, if you had an adapter. It just wouldn't achieve its full potential.

In other words, you're free to buy an RTX 2080 Ti if you felt so inclined...
(Or a Radeon x800 XT, if you were feeling silly heh)

Back