Video card defective?

dremic

Supreme [H]ardness
I am pretty much at a loss at this point.

it seems like my performance is terrible. heavy drops in multiple games when effects happen. for instance battlefield 3 i will have a consistent 55-60 fps and then a tank shoots at me and it drops to 25-35 ish. I understand a drop should happen when effects go off but that is a significant drop. and one that others arent experiencing with a similar set up. This is also the case with Borderlands 2 and PhysX and my guild wars 2 performance is also terrible.

I am beginning to think something is wrong. I will check the voltages on my PSU because I have a feeling that it may be power related.. but if anybody has some suggestions or things i can look at/for please help me.

see my sig for my rig. also playing at 1920x1200

For that GPU there really shouldn't be an issue... Unless it's a faulty card. Have you tried a different power supply yet?

For that GPU there really shouldn't be an issue... Unless it's a faulty card. Have you tried a different power supply yet?

nope. but i did read that you should check the bios to make sure its outputting 12v within a 5% tolerance. is this the case?

i could see it being a power issue because i see the power usage around 120-130% when the drops happen. not sure though.

EDIT: currently i do not have a spare PSU but I am in need of a better PSU so that in the future I am able to SLI.

if the PSU is bad has damage been done to the GPU or any other parts?

Well, if you'll need a higher powered PSU in the future... buy one now, and see if it fixes the problem.

here are some quick readings. they dont look good :O

attachment

attachment

attachment

attachment

replaced the PSU and i am still getting iffy performance. the worst is Guild Wars 2.

The CPU temps are lower though..

That's a pretty terrible MB you have there. Also, did the board auto set your memory to 1600, or is that what XMP profile it's defaulting to?

That's a pretty terrible MB you have there. Also, did the board auto set your memory to 1600, or is that what XMP profile it's defaulting to?

it doesnt even support 1600... pretty sure its 1600 ram stuck at 1333

Last edited:
it doesnt even support 1600... pretty sure its 1600 ram stuck at 1333

Then update your sig there. I'd go over some of your BIOS settings as well. Make sure all the onboard video/memory sharing is disabled, make sure your ram timings are correct, disable any of that EPU stuff. In short, I don't think it's just your card since you're having the issues in multiple apps.

Then update your sig there. I'd go over some of your BIOS settings as well. Make sure all the onboard video/memory sharing is disabled, make sure your ram timings are correct, disable any of that EPU stuff. In short, I don't think it's just your card since you're having the issues in multiple apps.

my bad i shouldve noticed that in my sig.

I'll edit those settings and report back thank you

That almost sounds like vertical sync without triple buffering

That almost sounds like vertical sync without triple buffering

triple buffering was disabled i enabled it and saw no difference.

ram timings were good, i didnt see anything about EPU or video/memory sharing

I had an asus 670 gtx go bad on me after three months

had them in sli, I started notice problems in league of legends (a low demanded game) sometimes when I cast, it would lag. I tho it was driver issue, try older version and nothing fixed it. after a while windows just wont recognized it. I notice on evga precicson GPU load would ramdomly drop, it won't still at top.

atm with BL2 with everything on high setting + phys and 2560x1400 out I get about average 50~ adapative v-sync on

its only sometimes when I run drops to 30-40s. but I can see my gpu load stays at full

Try running Battlefield 3 with NO vsync on. Try to replicate the issue. Even with triple buffering if you drop below 60 fps and it forces you to 30fps you'll see a stupid drop in performance. Try with it off. and report back. If it doesn't happen with vsync off, use adaptive vsync in the nvidia control panel.

Try running Battlefield 3 with NO vsync on. Try to replicate the issue. Even with triple buffering if you drop below 60 fps and it forces you to 30fps you'll see a stupid drop in performance. Try with it off. and report back. If it doesn't happen with vsync off, use adaptive vsync in the nvidia control panel.

i tried all of these things.

bought a new power supply that didnt do it eitehr

just ordered

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130643

i will install everything.. reinstall windows install guild wars 2 and see what happens. I'll overclock with this new board too.

hope this is the problem

Did you try underclocking the GPU/mem just in case?

its not a top edition GPU though.. why would I underclock a card thats not factory overclocked?

i will try it, but that wouldnt make sense for such low frame rates right?

I am pretty much at a loss at this point.

it seems like my performance is terrible. heavy drops in multiple games when effects happen. for instance battlefield 3 i will have a consistent 55-60 fps and then a tank shoots at me and it drops to 25-35 ish. I understand a drop should happen when effects go off but that is a significant drop. and one that others arent experiencing with a similar set up. This is also the case with Borderlands 2 and PhysX and my guild wars 2 performance is also terrible.

I am beginning to think something is wrong. I will check the voltages on my PSU because I had a feeling that it may be power related.. but if anybody has some suggestions or things i can look at/for please help me.

see my sig for my rig. also playing at 1920x1200

Borderlands 2 seems to be more demanding with Physx high than most games. I also notice drops to the 40`s during heavy combat. Try to force Vsync in the Control panel and make sure you dont enable Vsync in game. Make sure you have not capped the fps using any software or in game. Keep that setting as unlimited. That solved the issue for me. Now I am only dropping to the 50 - 55`s during heavy combat. Most other places stays at 60. The problem could also be your CPU speed. I also have a similar setup as you but with a 680 and a 2500k @ stock. Overclocking the CPU might help a lot because of Physx effects. I suggest you dont enable Adaptive Vsync in most games as I still feel the feature is buggy. I had lots of problems with it on like massive fps drops and horrible screen tearing. Hope this helps.

Moreover Battlefield 3 is very demanding on Ultra even for a 670 so you are bound to see fps drops here and there during intense combat unless you settle on decreasing anti aliasing to 2xMSAA. Same goes for Crysis 2 although Crysis 2 is poorly optimized game just like the original.

Back