VGA Silencer + My Card = Fubar

sicde@th

Weaksauce
Well I finally had the guts to do it tonight and it didn't come out the way I plan for it. I mean I thought I did everything right though, but I am guessing I screwed up somewhere.

My desktop looks ok, but I got a black straight line with my cursor and the icons on the desktop look funny. When I am watching a movie on my computer, there are dots everywhere and all of them are black and they are kinda big.

I am just wondering if I can do anything about this??

I don't think there is much hope though because I feel that I have damaged my video card *sigh*

Well it will just have to sit somewhere and look pretty, hehe. I just ordered the Sapphire 9800 PRO and it should be on its way :)

Oh ya here are some pictures that I took while doing it.

If only I didn't screw it up :( Oh well that will teach me to do it right the next time, hehe :D

-rahul

forum peeve #1) Please resize those pics.

But, you should put paste on, screw the thing on, take it off, and check how much the paste has displaced. Only then are you sure that the thing is making contact.

Infact, I JUST INSTALLED MINE, and it works.

It looks like you didn't remove the shim, which begs the question whether you were making good contact or not, because your problem is suspiciously reminiscent of overclocking/overheating artifacts :p

I was suppose to remove shim?? I don't remember it saying in the instructions though, lol.

By the way I haven't even overclocked my video card.

Sorry about the pics by the way.

-rahul

I didn't have to remove the shim on mine. The 9800 np is based off the r300 core and thus a 9700 pro more or less, correct? The 9700pro's were notorious for uneven shims.

Originally posted by NightRaven
It looks like you didn't remove the shim, which begs the question whether you were making good contact or not, because your problem is suspiciously reminiscent of overclocking/overheating artifacts :p
I didn't have to remove the shim on mine.

Originally posted by StrongBadia
I didn't have to remove the shim on mine. The 9800 np is based off the r300 core and thus a 9700 pro more or less, correct? The 9700pro's were notorious for uneven shims.

incorrect.. all of the 9800 series cards are free of the old shim problem.. my 9800 np worked fine when i mounted my WB to it.. i could see light between the shim and the block

you gonna resize and repost the pics?
and you sure u didnt scrape anything? turn the fan on high?

Originally posted by StrongBadia
Is that so... hopefully I don't have an uneven one on mine... when you screw it on tight enough, I looked at it, and it seems pressed on there pretty good, hopefully closing up any unevenness of the shim.

The issue isn't necessarily unevenness, it's the fact that the shim is too thick on some cards so that the core can't make good contact.

umm no. i have a 9700 pro and i didnt remove the shim for my artic cooler been running it a month no troubles.

no, the 9800NP BBA has the same exact pcb and core as the 9800PRO, so unless it was the black sapphire card with the 9700 PCB, then you shouldnt have contact problems.

I don't remember scraping anything off for sure. I will repost the pictures soon though. Someone said to remove the shim and its even worse now, lol.

I have killed the card even more now though. My desktop looks allright, but the games look terrible.

I won't be trying something like this again, hehe, but the again I screwed up anyway, stupid me.

Oh well, Sapphire 9800 PRO is on its way :D

-rahul

I didn't remove the shim off my Hercules pro and I"ve had zero problems with mine. Hell, i've take it on and off at least 3 freaking times since I bought it for various reasons and still no troubles.

How people are having such an issue with these things is just beyond me......

VGA Silencer is great product. But I guess stuff happens. People probably tighten it too much, don't use the correct amount of Thermal Paste, don't check it for proper contact with the GPU or don't follow directions.

It was a very easy mod and has gained me a lot of performance. I love the HSF, really nice quality. Just wish they would have included some BGA ramsinks with the kit. Not that it would have done my infineon memory any good. ;) But it would be nice to have an all in one kit.

Like I said in the other thread, it's easily worth $20 & 20 minutes.

Originally posted by kapkorn
umm no. i have a 9700 pro and i didnt remove the shim for my artic cooler been running it a month no troubles.
I had to remove my shim, my core was much lower. No problems.

The bracket that they included did not fit on my 9700Pro All in Wonder, the cable TV coax connector was blocked off by the VGA hole. Has anyone cut out some more area in the bracket to make it fit? Also, the back of the heatsink does not go all the way back to the slot holes, theres a slight gap, which is I'm guessing why people used A/C or aircraft tape to extend the shroud?

Originally posted by MooCow
The bracket that they included did not fit on my 9700Pro All in Wonder, the cable TV coax connector was blocked off by the VGA hole. Has anyone cut out some more area in the bracket to make it fit? Also, the back of the heatsink does not go all the way back to the slot holes, theres a slight gap, which is I'm guessing why people used A/C or aircraft tape to extend the shroud?
I used a dremel to cut the included bracket so it would fit my 9800 Pro AIW card. You can use the bracket that came with your 9700 AIW. If you do, just make sure to ground the VGA Silencer with some sort of wire to your case to be safe and mount the switch elsewhere to get it out of the way. The gap is there so that the VGA Silencer can fit other, shorter cards. Yes, that's why people extend it (I used aluminum foil:p ).

yeah, I was thinking about using the dremel, but fuck man, I hate the mess associated with it afterwards, especially just for some stupid peice of metal blockage. I think I'm gonna be lazy and just use the tin snips tomorrow.

Hope it works out and doesn't bend when I do it.

Back