VGA + Monitor Showdown Freesync vs Gsync Article Coming

Would you like to see a [H]ardOCP article on this?

• Of course I would like to see this!

Votes: 29 87.9%
  • I'm not sure I'm interested in this technology Yet but open to seeing what it's all about

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Not interested at all (Loser)

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters

Lord_Exodia

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm wondering if the team here at [H]ardOCP have an article coming to show a comparison between the 2 technologies with some real world performance and some comparisons between the technologies. Who would be interested in seeing this here in the community?

Yes, I would definitely like to see some hands on discussion of this.

I have a GSync monitor but AMD cards. I'm probably going to pick up a FreeSync monitor as soon as a good 2560 panel is available that offers 120+hz. But I don't currently have any NVIDIA cards to compare.

Definitely, would be interesting to see if FreeSync competes with G-Sync. If FreeSync works as well as G-Sync, it'll pave way for variable refresh rate monitors as a standard rather than proprietary, hopefully...

Definitely, would be interesting to see if FreeSync competes with G-Sync. If FreeSync works as well as G-Sync, it'll pave way for variable refresh rate monitors as a standard rather than proprietary, hopefully...

Variable refresh rate monitors are already an open standard. Any Freesync compatible monitor can be used by any GPU manufacturer.

Certainly, it needs an objective eye and analysis.

Yeah it will be good to read about it I guess. The problem is, if both Gsync and Freesync work perfectly then there will be no differences to report.

If Freesync doesn't work, then it doesn't work. It will be a short article either way :)

Yeah it will be good to read about it I guess. The problem is, if both Gsync and Freesync work perfectly then there will be no differences to report.
The point of this is that very question.
If they both do the same job and there is a price difference, it will have an influence.
If one is worse than the other, that will have an influence.
No matter how it turns out, we will want to know.

AMD has quite a bit to gain with an article like this. At least IMO if;

Freesync = Gsync --> AMD Wins
Freesync is VERY close but less smooth than Gsync --> AMD Wins because of the price/perf

Only If

Gsync makes Freesync look bad would I declare Nvidia Gsync a winner

Nvidia would have to really bring a noteworthy superiority to justify their 3rd party module added to monitors and the price difference.

I'm looking ot pull the trigger on a new (Single) monitor in the next 2-3 months and Price be damned It needs to be a monitor with the new Variable sync technology. Reading the things I have it makes sense to me. I believe the concept but haven't tried it yet. Those friends I have that are using them now swear by it.

I'll invest in Gsync if the price is justified but if not I'll go Freesync since my scope is aimed at a pair of R390X cards. It seems Nvidia just rolled a fat one of the same shit they were smoking last year with the pricing on Titan and Titan Z for their new flagship cards if rumors are to be believed.

Back