VG248QE color/contrast as good as it gets for TN panels ?

Subzerok11

Gawd
So I just bought the VG248QE a couple of days ago and it's fast and all but the colors/contrast is definitely a step back from my VA panel I was using. Would the newer better Dell S2417DG give me a little bit better color/contrast then the older VG248QE ?

The panel in the VG248QE is horrible and is an example of giving people bad opinions on TN panels. Unfotunately I believe the S2417DG uses the same panel. It is only 6-bit+FRC and only provides a real world contrast ratio of around 600:1. You have to step up to a 27" to get a better panel. Both the PG278Q and S2716DG use the same 8-bit panel with a contrast ratio of around 900:1. You'll neve be able to match the contrast ratio and black point of a VA with any other panel type, so don't expect anything better than around 1000:1 and 0.1 with a TN or IPS.

I have the same monitor. Honestly, by now it's pretty ancient and the colors/contrast weren't exactly great back when it released. If you use an NV card go into the control panel and play with the digital vibrance control. Here's a guide that will help you get it setup: www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3c8fpi

One thing to try before you send it back is to enable Lightboost. It kind of kills the contrast even more but the effect it has on blurring during fast movement is eye opening. It's far more dramatic a change than Adaptive Sync tech IMO.

Buying monitors is rough. I went from a VG248QE to an HP Omen 32" with a VA Panel and while the contrast was great it was so unbearably slow and ugly during fast gameplay (after being used to 120hz lightboost) that I couldn't help but return it so I'm back on the ole Asus while I wait for a monitor with good contrast, good colors, fast refresh rate, fast pixel response, adaptive sync, Lightboost, and HDR for cheap. I'm not sure it will ever happen so I'm probably going to have to either stick with TN or find a fast IPS.

The panel in the VG248QE is horrible and is an example of giving people bad opinions on TN panels. Unfotunately I believe the S2417DG uses the same panel. It is only 6-bit+FRC and only provides a real world contrast ratio of around 600:1. You have to step up to a 27" to get a better panel. Both the PG278Q and S2716DG use the same 8-bit panel with a contrast ratio of around 900:1. You'll neve be able to match the contrast ratio and black point of a VA with any other panel type, so don't expect anything better than around 1000:1 and 0.1 with a TN or IPS.

I checked it says that the Dell 24" has a 8bit panel just like the Dell 27".

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dell-s2417dg-24-inch-165hz-g-sync-gaming-monitor,4788.html

I checked it says that the Dell 24" has a 8bit panel just like the Dell 27".

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dell-s2417dg-24-inch-165hz-g-sync-gaming-monitor,4788.html
I C. It's also 2560x1440 instead of 1920x1080, which I wasn't aware of.

Looking at the panel specifications the on in the 24" has basically the same MPN as the 27", so it may be just a shrunken version in which case it should be a good panel and give you better color and contrast than the VG248QE.

M270DTN01.5 vs. M238DTN01.2

Be aware that it looks like the PG248Q is simply using an updated version of the panel in the VG248QE, so it will have the same issues. Just in case you happened across that one.

No wonder, the VG248QE is ancient in monitor terms and doesnt even use a flicker free backlight for example.

If you want good looking, affordable 1080p 144hz, the curved Samsung models use VA panels and are color calibrated from the factory. As mentioned before, the 1440p TNs have also raised the bar for color reproduction (would primarily choose Dell because they use lighter coating on their TNs), and there are 1440p 144hz IPS and VA panels as well

No wonder, the VG248QE is ancient in monitor terms and doesnt even use a flicker free backlight for example.

If you want good looking, affordable 1080p 144hz, the curved Samsung models use VA panels and are color calibrated from the factory. As mentioned before, the 1440p TNs have also raised the bar for color reproduction (would primarily choose Dell because they use lighter coating on their TNs), and there are 1440p 144hz IPS and VA panels as well

There's not much in terms of VA at 27" 1440p, I don't want 1080p. There's the following four and that's all there is.

Samsung C27HG70 at (599$) too expensive and it has the lamest stand ever.
Samsung C27H711 at (349$) again another lame stand non ajustable and it's a white monitoer.
Acer XZ271U (445$) plus it has 144Hz. This model just came out.
MSI Optix MAG27CQ (445$) plus it has 144Hz. This model just came out.

The last two are what I'm interested in.

If the MSI or Acer don't work out I'll be getting the Dell S2417DG and call it a day.

Back