Very disappointing load temps. Where did I go wrong?

TheSmJ

2[H]4U
Finally set up the WC system for my new rig (see signature). Here's what I have:

Danger Den TDX (Not MC) CPU block
XSPC RX360 Radiator, with 2x 200mm fans running at 700rpm
Laing D5 pump in an XSPC rez.

With my 2500K OCed to 4.5 GHz and a vCore of 1.2V, I am getting a Prime95 load temp of ~51*C across all cores.

This isn't my first water cooled system, and my old e8400 ran at 4.1 GHz stable with a vCore of 1.455, and the load temp never went over 45*C. That was all with a smaller radiator, too (PA160).

Am I missing something? I could try reapplying thermal paste, but it was good when I checked it. Its POSSIBLE the TDX block isn't cutting it, but I want to be damn sure before I drop $65 on the same block with a larger grid.

Any ideas?

There in lies the problem. You are comparing two different technologies. You can't compare the temps of the core 2 with the new sandy 2500. And 51c is damn good for your chip at that speed under load. My 2600k @ 4.8 under full load with ht is about 57-61c loaded.

I'm using swiftech gtz. And same pump as you and switftech triple radiator.

Last edited:
Awesome temps to be honest. For comparison, my W3520(basically i7 D0) runs at around 52-54C on Prime95 on stock clocks(Although the volts are kinda crazy, 1.26) with my custom water cooling.(2 x 2 x120 mm rads, EK Supreme HF, also motherboard and RAM blocks though who contribute to heat).

1336 gets even hotter ;)

the E8400 is one of the coolest non low voltage C2Ds.....

youve got 2x the cores, IMC, and a completly different technology...

Huh, well... all your replies make me feel a whole lot better about the $160 I had spent on rebuilding my WC system. I've water cooled the e8400 and a Opti 165 before that, and I never heard of 50c+ being a "good" load temp.

Is it to late to change this into a "gloat" thread? :cool:

Less than 60 C is awesome for any Intel core i processor. Less than 100 is safe for core i processors. Around 80 or less is the general consensus for ideal load temps.

Also your fans are only at 700 rpms? If so that's really slow. My guess bump those up and you should see a nice drop

Yup. 700 RPM, 200mm fans. Big and quiet. That's one of the reasons I got the radiator I did.

I got the OC up to 4.8 GHz now on 1.36v. Temps sit at around 65-67C under load.

Which is still pretty damn good, considering 200mm fans are not the best radiator fans you can use. I think you got hella lucky with your chip.

The HAF X was either two 200mm fans or 3 120mm fans. Personally, I think you would get better temps if you stuck some 1000 RPM 120's in there, particularly Gentle Typhoons if you can find some.

You cannot mount 120mm fans on the top of a HAF X. There are four holes to mount the radiator to the top of the case (below the 200mm fans), but there is now way to mount 120s above the radiator.

You cannot mount 120mm fans on the top of a HAF X. There are four holes to mount the radiator to the top of the case (below the 200mm fans), but there is now way to mount 120s above the radiator.

Mount the fans to the radiator, leaving the screw holes for where the radiator would mount to the case empty. Then mount the radiator with the fans to the case.

I could do that, but honestly I don't need to with the temps I have, since they are (apparently) pretty good.

Nice to have the option though, if in the future I want to add a couple 6970s to the loop.

Back