Vertex 2 Pauses

WhoBeDaPlaya

2[H]4U
Have a brand new 32nm Vertex 2 120GB (bought in Nov 2010, installed ~3 weeks ago) that I secure-wiped and installed Win7 on, running Intel's AHCI drivers (7.0.0.1013).
102GB allocated as a primary partition, the remaining 9.79GB is unallocated as a spare area.

I copied over my Team Fortress 2 folder (lots of small files) and the TF2 GCFs (large files), then created symbollic links back to the main Steam folder on my mechanical drive (1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3)

When run completely from the mechanical drive, TF2 loads a lot slower but plays fine. When run from the SSD however, I get frequent annoying pauses where the game just freezes for 3-6 seconds and the HDD access light is solid. It is definitely not a connection issue (already tested for this).

Anyone have any idea what's up? I'm running the stock 1.25 FW that came with the drive, haven't updated to the newly released 1.32 yet.

TIA!

It would probably be because your game is trying to load from your HDD, then run off of your SSD.

If I were you, I would delete all of the files and folders you have created, then do a fresh install of the game. It doesn't seem like a problem with the SSD as much as it does how the game may have been installed and run.

Hmm.... I thought it would be transparent though, since they are sym-linked.

I wouldn't count on it as that seems to be the problem, having to load files between a HDD and SSD. I would just do a fresh install on the SSD or HDD, but not both.

This link might give you an idea on moving Valve games to a different partition. I think someone actually made a small app to help moving games around different partitions.

To me I think a better way to do it is to install the actual Steam folder on the C:\ (your SSD) and then offloading the games you don't play as often on your 1TB drives using the linkd command while keeping the actual Steam app as well as games you play most (TF2) on your SSD.

Back