Verizon To Take On Netflix With Web Service

HardOCP News

[H] News
Another company offering a streaming movie / television service? Normally this wouldn't get our attention, except for the fact that this is Verizon we are talking about and they have the cash to pull it off.

Verizon Communications Inc plans to launch a standalone service allowing customers to stream movies and television shows over the Web, in a fresh challenge to Netflix Inc and the traditional cable TV business, according to several people briefed on the plan.

This is interesting. Might cancel Netflix if this pans out well, Prime's selection and video quality doesn't do it for me.

how you going to offer that service when you have a cap on your download service. maybe its to get people to go over their download limit and then charge the customer for overage fees. wow what a good plan for verizon, the charge you with the service and then charge you for the overage fees.

which would be introduced outside of markets where it currently offers its broadband and TV package, known as FiOS

so... if your an existing verizon customer then what.. are they going to block you from using this service?

how sad, and goes to show that they are not really serious about this service

I just want a fricking app from a competitor of Netflix for my PS3!!!

Hopefully Verizon can throw some cash to develop a 80MB app.

I like the commercial where Verizon compares their FiOS OnDemand to Netflix, and by "like" I mean "find it extremely stupid".

Because watching anything I want on Netflix is equal to paying for each movie on OnDemand.

This is exactly what this market needs. More competitors.

If you had three of four streaming services paying the content creators for their programming it would serve to lower prices and increase choices.

Since Netflix and to a lesser extent Amazon are the only game in town these big studios demand huge premiums for their content. But if they were being paid three or four times over for the same stuff then maybe the forces of supply and demand (so to speak) would take over.

Now we just have to hope these ISPs don't go forward and start gouging everyone on a per GB usage scheme.

so... if your an existing verizon customer then what.. are they going to block you from using this service?

how sad, and goes to show that they are not really serious about this service

Maybe at some point they will offer at least a similar service to FIOS customers, sorta like Dish and Blockbuster=, and although I've never used/seen it, the DirectTV movie thing.

Netflix has a strong brand recognition following going on. It'll be a hard beat I think. Comcast has the same thing with their Fancast (now Xfinity TV), but I always forget about it's existence since I'm always using Netflix.

If Verizon makes it unlimited streaming for a reasonable price and will let me use it on my 4G phone I would be all over it. I will not do the PPV thing...

until they make an "all you can watch" service, it will only end in business failure. or if they're going to go a la carte, then keep the prices competitive with redbox. a dollar or two to rent a movie for 24 hours. win

Meh, I have FIOS, maybe I'll check it out, but I'm still much more heavily focused on disc rental due to the superior video & audio quality. For TV shows and such, then streaming is wonderful, but if I wanna watch LOTR EE for the umpteenth time, I need the visuals to make my eyes bleeds and the audio to crack my teeth via my 9.1 system.

I'm still waiting for someone to make a laserdisc rental service :rolleyes: so I can watch the original Star Wars trilogy the way it was meant to be seen again.

If it's anything like prime, they can cram it. I got a free prime membership last month and that is the most useless piece of garbage streaming service. $2.99 to watch an episode of a tv show!? They're out of their minds! I'd be thrilled though if Verizon had a service like netflix though. Competition is always good.

This is what the ISP's should be doing. Rather than limiting our bandwidth to compete with Netflix they should be developing new products.

how you going to offer that service when you have a cap on your download service. maybe its to get people to go over their download limit and then charge the customer for overage fees. wow what a good plan for verizon, the charge you with the service and then charge you for the overage fees.

FiOS has no bandwidth caps. At least not here in the Philly area. That would be comcast.

No FIOS caps in NYC, stable network, decent customer support. I don't trust that Verizon streaming will be anything special. They charge too much for OnDemand through the set top box, so I don't think it would be any different via the web. They do have a decent amount of content but they could do better by offering a more consistent selection of episodic content. They have a lot of free content but navigating with the remote is such a pain I don't bother most of the time and go to Netflix and deal with less than stellar video quality, that's one thing FIOS On Demand has going for it is the picture and audio quality.

I just want a fricking app from a competitor of Netflix for my PS3!!!

Hopefully Verizon can throw some cash to develop a 80MB app.

We cancled traditional cable and just have Netflix and Hulu Plus now. Watch both on the PS3. And at work I use it both on my HTC EVO to watch movies and shows during lunch (usually a documentary or something).

Its pretty satisfying for $16 a month. No stupid FCC taxes added on top. And the comericals are much more tolerable (applies to Hulu).

No FIOS caps in NYC, stable network, decent customer support. I don't trust that Verizon streaming will be anything special. They charge too much for OnDemand through the set top box, so I don't think it would be any different via the web. They do have a decent amount of content but they could do better by offering a more consistent selection of episodic content. They have a lot of free content but navigating with the remote is such a pain I don't bother most of the time and go to Netflix and deal with less than stellar video quality, that's one thing FIOS On Demand has going for it is the picture and audio quality.

I'd wager that if its on OnDemand that it will be availalbe on this web streaming product. I also worry, that once again we'll be charged for something per device. You have to pay for OnDeman, and theyll most likely charge for direct web streaming. In all reality its the same exact thing.

No different than getting separate charges from VZ for internet in my home, my cell, my tablet, etc... I'm only one person and should be charged as such.

I hope this is not the case. Not that it matters to me. HDHR Prime going in next week. "OnDemand" is my NAS :D

Back