Vcore on 6700k Questions

QuiteSufficient

Sufficiently [H]ard
I purchased a 6700k and ASUS Z170-AR from Fry's yesterday.

I've gone through the BIOS, HWMonitor, and HWINFO64. All of them are reporting 1.34-1.36 vcore under load, with HWINFO64 sometimes showing as high as 1.4v.

I have every cpu-related BIOS setting at stock.

Is this normal? I read in [H]'s review this is the range of voltage Kyle used to achieve 4.6ghz (iirc). Is the board overvolting? Crappy chip?

I can report that since the initial review here and on other sites that I am running the newest BIOS for this board and the Patriot 3000mhz DDR4 I purchased does not have any trouble at these speeds (using 3000 setting in BIOS). I've tried several big video renders and some stress testing.

actually according kyle's findings, no software actually can read correctly Skylake voltages. IIRC in the review CPU-Z was reporting something like 1.6V-1.7V and they were applying about ~1.3V so yes probably a bug, specially with those old software. Talking about that I prefer to use Open hardware monitor or Aida64 because HWmonitor or HWinfo always have somekind of issues or bugs.

Tried hard setting bios vcore to 1.2v, and that is now reflected in hwmonitor (whether accurate or not). Anandtech said their MSI Gaming 7 board also ran high vcore (or at least reported). They were able to slightly overclock to 4.3 and lower vcore, which is what I'm trying now - seems like a good mix. For me, open hardware monitor does not have much info (lists ram as generic, missing sensors).

Temperatures are much lower at this vcore...60C versus high 70s under load.

Last edited:
Back