Valve Throws Insel Games off of Steam for Manipulating Game Reviews

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
The Valve folks have kicked game developer Insel Games off of Steam for manipulating game reviews. Apparently, a redditor posted an internal email from the CEO that encouraged his employees to review their games on Steam. Valve investigated the issue and booted Insel Games. Moral of the story is don't mess with Valve and their policies or you'll be ejected from the aircraft.

The publisher appears to have used multiple Steam accounts to post positive reviews for their own games. This is a clear violation of our review policy and something we take very seriously.

I find that game developers in general are a really sketchy bunch with a complete disregard for right and wrong, willing to lie cheat and steal in order to sell more.

I have some casual familiarity with game developers startups and they all seem to follow the same formula.

1.) Swindle investors out of their money

2.) Use said seed money to pay founders unwarranted exorbitant salaries

3.) Hastily throw together some shoddy game product to try to raise more money from investors

4.) Hope that one of the big guys is impressed enough by their shoddy buzzword compliant shell of a game that they buy them out before anyone finds out what a scam they are running.

There are exceptions - of course - but the above seems to cover most of them.

I would never under any circumstance invest money in a game dev.

They should have paid a bunch of Indians and Chinese to give them fake reviews like a normal company.

Reactions: AK0tA
like this
Back