Valve cancel E3 Press conference

We were told the 'surprise' was "portal 2 related" which means "I don't give a crap" so they might of well as canceled it.

LOL. They dont want another failed alcatraz-release-party-turned-dissapointing-press-event like we saw with HL2 so they canceled it completely. haha. As much as Valve fails at proper press events and release dates, i still have confidence they will make a great game. I stopped expecting their games out with any kind of speed long ago. Just let them cog away at the game it it will be great whenever it comes out like always.

The funny thing is I mentioned something about this at http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1035819375#post1035819375, nobody seems to notice, and the thread continues as if I never mentioned it. :rolleyes:

lool. Anyway, we'll see.
no-more-tears.jpg

I bet this is just to make everybody think that there is no surprise. It's to make the surprise even more surprise-ier!

Did something went wrong for them?

Why would they plan and announce a conference only to cancel it

Valve has been pretty disappointing lately, but this just takes the cake. Give us more half-life already. Wasn't the fact that it was episodic supposed to make the releases more frequent?

It doesn't have to be at their press conference, which they've canceled.

Hmmm, I have to admit, announcing "3" (or DNF) will just make people scream "footage! footage!" which perhaps isn't the best place to stage at a press conference?

Is that your suggestion?

Ummm, they've told people not to even bother showing up.

Actually this reads a bit cryptic, why say something is cancelled then go on to say that you shouldn't turn up, as if no one can work that out for themselves?

It seems almost playful, a sort of way where someone has a secret and they want to tell you but can't so they deny the opposite to let on whats going on.

A bit like with the duke nukem saga, there was some interview thing a while back after cancellation and some guy is asked if theres any DNF news and he says he cannot comment and the whole audience groans, then the speaker says no no - read between the lines, why can't I comment on it?

I dunno, it's a long shot, valve are well known for being cryptic so it seems like they might have something up their sleaves.

I really hope the surprise wasn't the lack of a surprise.

Valve would be wise to never do PR, again. Just clam up until their product is RTM, drum up interest for three weeks, and launch. Their products are so good and prices so reasonable, they have no reason to play this game, in this way.

If anything, they should be advertising Steam on TV and the internet.

If anything the whole fiasco has to at least remind Valve where their customers desires are. HL3.

I love Valve. They are one of the few remaining Dev's who respect the PC as a platform, release their games when they are ready (and not when some monolith distributor says "NOW! Just slap an ending on it and GO GO GO!!!!") and reward legit customers with continued content instead of punishing them with draconian DRM. Given their history, I am still banking that they are working on HL3 (to replace Ep3) with a new engine and are simply being silent until it's ready to show. That said, they should have known better then to use the word "Surprise" with Ep3 being three years over-due.

Well, they can release when they are ready because they are their own dev and pub. Don't make that out to be more than it is.

Valve's was born out of HL. If they don't understand that, then Gabe's doughnut sugar's gone to his head.

There's now more time between HL2 and "3" than there was between HL1 and HL2. So, releasing "3" on Source would be the equivalent of releasing HL2 looking like HL1. Not going to happen. So them having a whole new engine by now is obvious.

Valve's gotten Portal, L4D1 and L4D2 out in the meantime.

That's all about making a buck, and not giving a fuck.

Valve have proven to be pretty cryptic when it comes to joking around so I wouldn't be surprised if they were still doing something.

We were told the 'surprise' was "portal 2 related" which means "I don't give a crap" so they might of well as canceled it.
Yeah, the surprise is Portal 2 related, in that their Portal 2 conference was canceled ;)

Back