Valve accidentally reveals that Left 4 Dead was a Counterstrike mod

Was any game Valve made besides half life itself not a mod? They hire modders and turn their stuff into full standalone games, it's a good strategy.

Only original game they did was the Half Life series. Everything else was a mod turned retail, or they bought the developers out partway through development. They even outsource many of their games (like Half Life expansions, CS Global Offensive).

Seems like pretty barebones and not worth mentioning. The average modded PvE CS server had more going on than this. The comparisons to Counter-Strike and such are asinine because that's not what happened with Left 4 Dead. In other words, this is just clickbait.

I recall one of the first "zombie" mods to Half Life or HLF2 (pretty sure it was 1), came as a stand-alone 1-3 level 'demo' that was available on one of the PC Gamer demo discs at the time, this is before many of us had access to broadband so those demo CD's were a lifesaver to try out new stuff versus downloading at kb speeds...

I recall one of the first "zombie" mods to Half Life or HLF2 (pretty sure it was 1), came as a stand-alone 1-3 level 'demo' that was available on one of the PC Gamer demo discs at the time, this is before many of us had access to broadband so those demo CD's were a lifesaver to try out new stuff versus downloading at kb speeds...
That was They Hunger.

That was They Hunger.
They Hunger was pretty sweet back in the day. They even added it to Sven Coop.

Speaking of Sven Coop, I'm surprised Valve didn't buy them out too. It was one of the most popular Half Life mods, and arguably one of the best coop experiences you could have back in the day. A missed opportunity, perhaps?

They Hunger was pretty sweet back in the day. They even added it to Sven Coop.

Speaking of Sven Coop, I'm surprised Valve didn't buy them out too. It was one of the most popular Half Life mods, and arguably one of the best coop experiences you could have back in the day. A missed opportunity, perhaps?
I kinda wished they bought the Natural Selection mod. It became it's own game but I imagine if Valve was behind it the game would be so much better.

View: https://youtu.be/9J6HpT_rnxY?si=fca_ie9kXs7n0a8L

Back