Using USB hard drive for Cloud storage

maverick786us

2[H]4U
Is there a way I can connect my USB hard drive with the router and use it for Cloud storage from anywhere in the world as long as that hard drive is connected to internet router? Are their routers that come with such features?

As far as the router itself…maybe ASUS might offer something like that, they are big on cloud storage. But otherwise you can put a small computer or raspberry pi on your network and get that result.

You just need to pass the request from the internet to the correct computer behind your router. This is done under port forwarding or in the case of my AT&T router it’s under NAT/Gaming tab.

The storage service should run on a port number, like 3973. You go into your router and say forward all traffic from the internet on port 3973 to go rasppicloud.local or 192.168.1.56 or whatever name you end up choosing. You also need to make sure the ports. This is where an operating system like Unraid comes in handy. You can install a “docker” image of something like Filebrowser or Next Cloud and those will provide services similar to google drive, and can be available to the internet.

If you want to roll your own you can do something as simple as a router with a USB port. If you want something that is a bit easier, basically set it and forget it then look into one of the two-drive synology boxes which will do everything you are looking for and more with a minimum of work.

If you want to roll your own you can do something as simple as a router with a USB port. If you want something that is a bit easier, basically set it and forget it then look into one of the two-drive synology boxes which will do everything you are looking for and more with a minimum of work.
Can you provide me more details on this 2 drive synology

Here is their current 2-bay NAS box (you can get the previous one for $50 less.)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It's more involved but an in home NAS and a home grown VPN does the same thing. That's how I get my data anywhere I am without exposing ports to the internet.

Last edited:
It's more involved but an in home NAS and a home grown VPN does the same thing. That's how I get my data anywhere I am without exposing ports to the internet.
This is the only way I would do it--the ransomware bots are constantly looking for NAS units on the Internet.

Back