Using iTunes with an iRiver iHP-120...

BigECB

Limp Gawd
Can I transfer/use the AAC encoded songs downloaded from iTunes on an iRiver iHP-120?

Just wondering since I like some of the features of the iRiver over the iPod (Remote!).

Thanks!

I think right now AAC format is only supported by iPod. It's not apple's fault, AAC is a standard format that any player could in principle utilize. No other company is using it yet tho.

Originally posted by whisper
I think right now AAC format is only supported by iPod. It's not apple's fault, AAC is a standard format that any player could in principle utilize. No other company is using it yet tho.

Real just announced they'd be using it. Now watch them fuck it up :D

But to answer your question, you could burn the tracks to an audio-cd, and then re-rip them as Mp3s.

it IS apples fault you see because thats not real AAC. thats DRM laced AAC :p

and no it wont work

Gah... thanks for the info all!

I might try the burn as MP3s to CD-R trick but if that is too much of a pain in the ass, screw iTunes. I still like the iRiver better than the iPod and will just get my music elsewhere...

Real just announced they'd be using it. Now watch them fuck it up
lol. Agreed.

it IS apples fault you see because thats not real AAC. thats DRM laced AAC

Okay, you're right in terms of the purchased music from the music store, but if you just rip songs from a CD into AAC format then that should be "real" AAC, correct?

But to answer your question, you could burn the tracks to an audio-cd, and then re-rip them as Mp3s.
In terms of buring the music to CD and then ripping to mp3, this *should* work although I can say that this did NOT actually work for me. I wasn't trying to transfer to an iRiver player tho, I was trying to go to minidisc. Sony's software is horrible to begin with so maybe that's the real problem, but none of the mp3s that I ripped could be converted to minidisc (ATRAC3) format. I checked all the advanced settings to make sure I was using a compatable bit rate and frequency, and the bottom line after many many tries is that it just didn't work. Although the WAV files should have been clean and free of DRM, something about them was not quite normal. So give it a try with whatever player you have, and hope for the best!

Originally posted by KaosDG
Real just announced they'd be using it. Now watch them fuck it up :D

Damn I cannot even burn them as MP3s... you do indeed need to burn an audio CD and then re-rip. Lame.

Originally posted by whisper

Okay, you're right in terms of the purchased music from the music store, but if you just rip songs from a CD into AAC format then that should be "real" AAC, correct?

well then its just stupid. burn a lossy format on a cd then burn it again creating more loss....

Originally posted by JoJoFine
well then its just stupid. burn a lossy format on a cd then burn it again creating more loss....

well, i agree with that but he's talking about the initial ripping into AAC format.

They should be "normal"... but I couldn't say because I either use plain mp3 or straight AIFF (uncompressed)

Yes, I was talking about the initial creation of an AAC file directly from a CD that, heaven forbid, I might have actually purchased:rolleyes: In reality, I guess I don't really purchase many CDs anymore, but I know people who do and sometimes I rip from them.

But anyway, I can't really blame apple for implementing their DRM technology. It's no different from any of the other legit services. If you buy a song from Napster or MusicMatch, you're not getting a real WMA file either - you're getting one with DRM that can only be played using the client software or a supported portable device. Why should apple budge if nobody else will.

Back