Using A Router As An Access Point

Chrispy

Limp Gawd
Hey all, here's the setup I have in my house.

We have 3 hard-wired ethernet jacks in our walls which are all connected to computers....they all travel to the basement to a switchbox, where I have a linksys 4-port router....internet works fine throughout the house. I have a notebook PC with wireless capabilities, and I have a wireless router. I cannot simply switch the routers in the basement, because then the wireless access point is too far from my bedroom, and the signal doesn't work...

So what I would like to do is set up the router as an access point somewhere else on the network, like at one of the wall-jacks....

Do I leave the Router in it's current setup? Like, keep the DHCP server enabled? Or do I disable that.....basically all I want the Router to do is act like a switch.....as there will be one desktop plugged into it, and then of course wireless users...

The router in question is the D-Link DI-614+

If any of you's can offer any suggestions it'd be great....sorry if this didn't make any sense either, i'm tired...

Thanks in advance.

turn dhcp off, plug lan into lan, using an x-over or uplink port, dont use the wan port, set the ip addy of the "router" to that of your network.

Back